The UWF Aquatics Center offers swim lessons for all ages. Swim lessons can be especially beneficial for young children in many ways, including the development of balance and stronger movement skills as well as helping to reduce the risk of drowning.
Whether you are registering yourself or your child for swim lessons, our certified instructors are here to help participants feel comfortable in the water, develop basic swimming skills, enhance their swimming skills, and provide an overall safe and fun learning environment. Be sure to review our available scheduled lessons as well as our swim lesson policies and procedures. If you have any questions, please contact the Aquatic Center at 850.474.2497.
Swim Lesson Registration
To check class availability, register yourself or register your child for swim lessons, please call the Aquatic Center at 850.474.2497. We are happy to discuss with you what swim lesson level is suited best for you or your child over the phone.
- Take a look at the Swim Lessons Descriptions to find out what class is best suited for the participant.
- View the Annual Swim Lesson Session Dates to have an idea of when classes are offered.
- Call the Aquatic Center (850.474.2497) or visit in person to reserve a spot for the participant. Reservations for each class open one month prior to the start of the swim session.
- The week prior to the start of the session, a representative of the UWF swim lessons program will call you to confirm you've enrolled in the correct level, the session dates and time, that you have read through lesson policies, and take your payment.
- All swim classes accommodate the ranges of participant skills within that class. Instructors have the skills and training to handle each student's need within the same class setting.
- Before entering the pool area, please have your child(ren) remove gum or candy from their mouth, remove all adhesive bandages, and use the restroom.
- Family members may observe swim lessons from the bleachers located on the east side of the pool deck or opt to enter the water with their child to participate in the lesson. They may not observe from the pool wet deck as to allow for fewer distractions for all students.
- Family members should remain available (no matter the age of the participant) in order to escort children safely to and from the restroom or to be available in cases of emergencies, inclement weather, or questions.
- After each lesson, please be available for the instructor to give you verbal progress updates and feedback on your swimmer’s progress.
- For more detailed information, check out our Policies and Procedures.
- For beginners, we strongly suggest you wear a rash guard (or long sleeved swim shirt) into the water for additional comfort.
- Children in diapers or those who are not completely toilet trained may use either disposable or reusable swim diapers or swim pants.
- Bring a towel to dry off with after the lesson.
- Before entering the pool area, please have the participant remove gum or candy from their mouth, remove all adhesive bandages, and use the restroom.
- Bring your swim attire if you are opting to enter the pool with your participant instead of observing from the bleachers.