Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Reverse Transfer | University of West Florida
Skip to main content

Reverse Transfer

Students gather outdoors in front of the Canto al Sol archway.

Students who transfer from a Florida College System institution can complete their Associate of Arts degree with that institution through a reverse transfer.

Reverse Transfer Overview

In 2019, the Florida Legislature amended Florida Statute 1007.23 to facilitate a statewide articulation agreement. The state Reverse Transfer FAQ and Florida Department of Education provide detailed information.

The purpose of the legislation is to assist former Florida College System (FCS) students who have transferred to a State University System (SUS) institution, such as UWF, to complete their Associate of Arts degree with their former FCS institution through a reverse transfer process. Reverse transfer is intended to increase options for students enrolled at an SUS institution who have transferred credit from an FCS institution to earn an associate in arts degree from their former college.

In order to participate in reverse transfer, a student must meet the following requirements:

  1. Be currently enrolled in a state university.
  2. Earned more than 30 hours of college credit at a single FCS institution.
  3. Transferred to a state university before earning an AA degree.
  4. Not previously earned an AA degree from the state university.
  5. Completed a minimum of 60 hours of college credit.
  6. Completed general education requirements of either the home FCS institution or the SUS institution.
  7. Not earned a baccalaureate degree.
  8. Be in good academic standing and be current with financial obligations at the SUS institution.
  9. Be in good academic standing and be current with financial obligations at the awarding FCS institution.
  10. Have met the civic literacy requirement per Florida Statute 1007.25(4).
  11. Have met college-level communication and computation competency per State Board of Education Rule 6A-10.030, Florida Administrative Code (FCS Requirement).
  12. Demonstrate competency in a foreign language per Florida Statute 1007.25(8).
  13. Consent to allowing the SUS institution to transmit the necessary information to the FCS institution.
  14. Meet any other AA degree graduation institution requirement of the degree-granting FCS institution.

The legislature requires UWF to obtain written consent from those who appear to have the credits for associate degree completion prior to sending information to the FCS institution. Non-responding students will be considered to be non-consenting and will not be eligible. Students who do not consent shall not be considered further from reverse transfer in subsequent terms unless the student initiates a request for reverse transfer.

Opting in to the reverse transfer process does NOT guarantee the student will automatically be awarded the AA. It simply means the FCS institution will evaluate the student’s transcript to determine whether they are eligible for the degree.

If you have received a notification that has expired, please email the Registrar's Office for further assistance on opting in to the reverse transfer process.

Reverse Transfer FAQ

Reverse transfer is the process where a student may be awarded an associate degree from a previous state college after transferring to a four-year institution.

If a reverse transfer candidate attended more than one FCS institution prior to transferring to an SUS institution, the degree-granting institution will be the FCS institution where the student earned the most credits, provided the student earned more than 30 credits at that institution. In the event the student has earned the same number of credits and meets the degree requirements at two or more FCS institutions, the FCS institution that the student attended most recently will be considered as the degree-granting institution.

College credit may include credit earned through acceleration, such as credit by examination, dual enrollment, and/or prior learning assessment if the home institution was the initial awardee. Credit awarded by other institutions and accepted by the home institution in transfer may not be included.

Yes. UWF may award the the AA degree if the student has not opted into the reverse transfer process and has submitted a request to have the AA awarded by UWF.

Please visit the Florida College System website for a listing of participating Florida colleges.

Please email the Registrar's Office Graduation Team with any questions or concerns.