The University of West Florida Libraries provides research materials, research assistance, technology access, and study spaces to support student learning and success. Through the library homepage, uwf.edu/library, students may access the catalog of materials held by all UWF Libraries, online databases that contain full-text articles and e-books, and services such as interlibrary loan. In addition to books that support research, students may check out their undergraduate textbooks. Every library location offers computers, scanners, Wi-Fi, SMART Boards, and other technology - including equipment that may be checked out, like laptops and calculators. Additionally, each location has a variety of individual and group study accommodations. Subject-specialist librarians are available at all locations (and virtually) to assist students.
John C. Pace Library - Pensacola Campus (Bldg. 32)
The 6-floor John C. Pace Library, located across the Cannon Green from the University Commons, houses over 750,000 print volumes. In addition to the usual workspaces, individual study carrels are available for check out. The 5th floor Skylab offers additional multimedia hardware and software, including the Adobe Creative Suite, which can also be accessed remotely, as well as 3D printers. The University Archives and West Florida History Center, located in the basement, contains over one million unique items relating to the historic West Florida region. The Pace Library Coffee House offers refreshments to hungry scholars.
Professional Studies Library - Pensacola Campus (Bldg. 86, Rm. 105)
The Professional Studies Library supports the students in the College of Education and Professional Studies. With an extensive collection of juvenile books, and a full curriculum materials collection for future educators, the PSL is a one-stop-shop for all education students. The library also hosts a robust research materials collection for Criminal Justice and Social Work. The PSL is home to the Creation Station maker space in which students can craft and create posters, buttons, and stickers. Three quiet study rooms are available.
The Emerald Coast Library is located in Fort Walton Beach and provides access to information resources that support courses taught in that location. The collection has over 27,000 volumes, and materials available for checkout at the Pensacola Campus libraries may be requested for delivery/checkout at the Emerald Coast Library. A library coffee shop is open for limited hours to provide food and beverages.
Who Was John C. Pace?
John C. Pace was born in Hazlehurst, Ga., on September 8, 1898. His family moved to Pensacola in 1905, and he attended public and private schools here and elsewhere in the South before receiving his bachelor's degree at Wake Forest College in 1918. Upon graduation, Mr. Pace returned to West Florida, entered the lumber and naval stores business, and became the owner and operator of a variety of local business enterprises.
Mr. Pace was one of the founders and the vice-president of Florida Pulp and Paper Company and Alabama Pulp and Paper Company. When these firms merged into the St. Regis Paper Company in 1946, Mr. Pace was named vice-president and, in 1951, one of the directors of the company. He has been instrumental in the development of St. Regis and in locating the nylon plant of the Chemstrand Corporation (now Monsanto) at Gonzalez, Florida.
In addition to his directorship of St. Regis, Mr. Pace is a director of the First Bank & Trust Company, chairman of the Board of the Bank of West Florida, and vice-president of the Pace-Holland Company, all Pensacola firms.
Active in civic affairs as well as business, Mr. Pace served as a member of the Florida Industrial Commission from 1947 to 1951. He was for three years a member of the Santa Rosa Island Authority, serving as chairman in 1953 and 1954. In 1953 he received the Kiwanis Cup for outstanding civic service. The Pensacola News-Journal honored him in 1964 with its first annual Page One Award.
Mr. Pace and Mrs. Pace, the former Cacilda Prado of Sao Paulo, Brazil, make their home in Pensacola.
In 1961, Governor Farris Bryant named Mr. Pace to the State Board of Control. When that board was reorganized in 1965 to the Florida Board of Regents. Governor Haydon Burns reappointed Mr. Pace to a four-year term of office. While serving in this important capacity, Mr. Pace played a leading role in the establishment of The University of West Florida, and in The University of West Florida Foundation, Inc. In 1965, he received the Pensacola Kiwanis Club Civic Award for his contributions toward the creation and development of the University.
No more fitting recognition could be accorded to Mr. John C. Pace than the dedication to him of the University of West Florida Library. For a library is at the very heart of an institution of learning. The John C. Pace Library will bear forever the name of a distinguished West Floridian, a man who gave freely of his time and talent to bring to this growing community the opportunity for higher education so essential to our youth and so vital to the cultural future of this area.
This biography was prepared for the John C. Pace Library dedication ceremony on January 5, 1969.