Public transportation is becoming more and more popular with today’s gas prices and the increasing number of people that live in America.
Safety Tips for Using Public Transportation
- Review the bus or trolley schedule prior to taking the trip.
- Check the DoubleMap app to see when the next trolley or ECAT bus will arrive at or near your location.
- Know the pick-up and drop-off times of whatever transportation you choose, so that you aren’t waiting for a long period of time.
- Try to travel with a friend if possible.
- Never wait at isolated or dark stops.
- Have the correct fare ready and in your pocket. Don’t display your wallet or any large sums of money.
- Wait on the sidewalk at the bus/trolley stop, not in or near the street. This way if you get jostled by passersby’s, there is less danger of you falling into the path of oncoming traffic.
- Once you enter the bus/trolley, sit close to the driver. The driver will be able to assist you if you need help.
- Do not sit near the rear doors to the bus/trolley. The rear door is an easy escape route for criminals.
Stay awake during the trip.
- Keep your belongings beside you, away from the aisle. Do not put your belongings on the floor or in overhead bins.