Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Family Members | University of West Florida
Skip to main content

Family Members

The University understands the important role that family members play in the support and success of our active duty service members and veterans. The Military & Veterans Resource Center extends its services to family members in order to assist them in reaching their academic goals.

Military Families

Post 9/11 GI Bill® - Chapter 33

The Post 9/11 GI Bill® allows service members (officer or enlisted, Active Duty or Selected Reserve), on or after August 1, 2009, to transfer unused education benefits to immediate family members (spouse and children). The service member must have at least six years of service, and commit to an additional four years of service in order to transfer benefits to a spouse or child. The service member must have served at least 10 years for the dependent child to use the Post 9/11 GI Bill®. Because of the potential impact of this benefit on recruiting and retention, transferability policy is determined by the Department of Defense (DOD) and the military services. The service member must submit the application online through the milConnect website.  

Eligible beneficiaries attending school may receive full tuition & fees paid directly to the school for all public school in-state students, a monthly housing allowance and a books and supplies stipend. 

Please note: The VA does NOT pay for the meal plan or dorm fees. This is the responsibility of the student.

Current Payment Rates

Chapter 33 Student Dependent Form


Fry Scholarship - Chapter 33

The Fry Scholarship is an education benefit for children and spouses of service members who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001. Eligible beneficiaries attending school may receive full tuition & fees paid directly to the school for all public school in-state students, a monthly housing allowance and a books and supplies stipend. 

Current Payment Rates

Chapter 33 FRY Scholarship Student Form


Survivors' & Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA)  - Chapter 35

DEA is an education benefit for eligible spouses and dependents. To be eligible, you must be the dependent of one of the following:

  • A veteran who died, or is permanently and totally disabled, as the result of a service-connected disability.
  • A veteran who died from any cause while such service-connected disability was in existence.
  • A service member missing in action or captured in the line of duty by a hostile force.
  • A service member forcibly detained or interned in the line of duty by a foreign government or power.
  • A service member hospitalized or receiving outpatient care for a VA determine service-connected permanent and total disability may be eligible for DEA benefits.

Eligible beneficiaries attending school will receive a monthly allowance based on the training time.  The student will be responsible for submitting payment for tuition and fees to the university.  We cannot submit your certification to the VA without your sponsor's social security number.  

Current Payment Rates

Chapter 35 Student Veteran Form


Florida Department of Veteran's Affairs Scholarships

Florida provides scholarship opportunities for dependent children and spouses of veterans who died from a service-connected disability or who are 100 percent service-connected permanent and total disabled veterans through the Scholarships for Children and Spouses of Deceased or Disabled Veterans program. The veteran must have been a Florida resident at least 12 months prior to receiving the 100% permanent and total disability rating. If the student is awarded the scholarship, the State will pay the school directly for the tuition and fees. The scholarship does NOT pay out for summer semesters.  The funds are only available for fall and spring semesters.  Visit or call toll free (888) 827-2004 for more information. 

Steps to Apply:

  1. Apply to the University.
  2. Identify your VA Educational Benefit Chapter.
  3. Apply for VA Educational Benefits via your Account and complete the VA Form 22-1990e or 22-5490.  
    1. Provide MVRC with a copy of your application with confirmation number.
    2. Spouses and Dependents must also provide a copy of your Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB) to MVRC.
    3. Provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) upon receipt.
  4. Set up an appointment with your advisor, as they will assign you a registration PIN number so that you may register for your classes.
  5. Set up a VA file with the school's Military and Veterans Resource Center (MVRC) and certify your classes.

If you are using Chapter 33 benefits that were transferred to you, provide the approved Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB) and the VA Form 22-1990e showing you have applied for benefits.  Once the award letter or Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is received, provide a copy to the MVRC for your file. The cashier will be notified to complete the financial refund, if applicable.

Apply for VA Education Benefits


In-State Tuition for Active Duty, Spouse and Dependants

In-State Tuition for Active Duty, Spouse and Dependants

As of 1 July 2009, members of the Armed Forces serving on active duty for a period of more than 30 days, and active drilling members of the Florida National Guard will be charged in-state tuition. This also applies to the spouse and dependent children of the service member. House Resolution 4137 ensures that service members are not penalized for relocating for military service. If you are currently serving in Florida or if your permanent duty station or home of record is Florida, you will be charged in-state tuition for the duration for your continuous enrollment.   For more information or assistance, please contact

Learn more about funding opportunities available to eligible active duty military, veterans, and their families.