Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Veteran Students | University of West Florida
Skip to main content

Veteran Students

The Military & Veterans Resource Center staff are excited that you have chosen to attend UWF. We are here to ensure your application process and transition to our campus is as smooth as possible.

Transitioning to UWF

UWF has one of the fastest growing populations of veterans in the state with many actively involved in the events and opportunities provided by the MVRC.

Transitioning from the military to a college campus can be tougher than you think. One of the challenges you might face as a veteran is paying for your college education.

If you plan to use your GI Bill® benefits to pay for school, you must apply for your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). You can do this via or in our office which is located at Building 38, Room 147. The University does NOT evaluate your service record to determine your benefits eligibility; that is the role of the VA. However, we will assist you in the benefits application process by putting you in contact with a VA representative and providing you with the necessary forms. Follow these steps to apply for VA Educational Benefits.

Once you have received approval from the VA, you simply need to bring your certificate of eligibility or entitlement to the MVRC for verification. The University will then notify the VA of your status as an enrolled student.

Students who depend on these benefits to meet their living expenses should bring enough money to cover expenses for at least eight weeks while the first benefit check is processed.

MVRC Student Services

The MVRC VetSuccess on Campus counselor provides transitioning service members, veterans and eligible dependents personalized counseling and support to guide your career path and ensure the most effective use of your VA benefits.

There is also a Mentoring Program coordinator on staff to offer guidance to students and introduce them to other valuable resources both on and off campus.

Learn more about MVRC Student Services.

Online Programs

Military and veteran students can also take advantage of UWF's Online MBA and other UWF Online programs.