Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Frequently Asked Questions | University of West Florida
Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to commonly asked general and veterans pay questions.

Payment FAQs

Beginning Aug 1, 2019, Covered students using Post 9/11, Chapter 33 or Voc. Rehab, Chapter 31 benefits ONLY will be issued a 90-day deferment in accordance with Public Law 115-407 sec. A 103. This Tuition Deferment will be granted to avoid the assessment of late fees, denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement to borrow additional funds due to the delayed VA disbursement of funding. Students must provide approved VA documents (1905 or TEB+1990E, 1990, 1995, or Certificate of Eligibility, (COE)) to qualify for the deferment and submit an Enrollment Certification Form. Students will be granted the deferment for each term enrolled within a semester starting on the first day of the class or when tuition and fees are submitted.  


If you have less than 100% Certificate of Eligibility (COE) on file, then you are responsible for the percentage of the Tuition and Fees not covered. Please contact the Cashier's Office at 850.474.3037 or

Go to the following link for information on Payment Plan and Other Options: Payment Plan

For information on applying for financial aid, visit the Federal Student Aid website.

Tuition and fee VA deferments at the University of West Florida (UWF) are not automatic. A veteran may request a deferment (promissory note) via their VA enrollment certification in MyUWF or at UWF Military and Veterans Resource Center (MVRC) for the amount of tuition and fees. The MVRC will submit the approved promissory note to the University Cashiers Office prior to the fee payment due date. Failure to make payment by the deferment due date will result in the assessment of a $100 late payment fee. Students who do not make payment or request a deferment may have their registration canceled. Students whose registration is canceled due to non-payment may appeal for reinstatement and will be assessed a $200 reinstatement fee. If a student has available financial aid, it will be used prior to the posting of the deferment to pay tuition, fees and other charges.

Students who do not have a MyUWF student account or students enrolled in a certificate program cannot request a VA deferment. The University reserves the right to deny deferral status to students who have established an unfavorable credit rating.

Deferral eligibility is granted to students receiving veterans' education benefits from federal programs if aid is delayed in transmission to the student through circumstances beyond the student's control.

Veterans and other eligible students receiving veterans' education benefits on active duty and under Chapters 30, 32, 35, and 1606, U.S.C., are eligible for one deferment each academic term.  A 90-day deferment may be issued for the fall and spring terms and a 30-day deferment may be issued for the summer and mini-terms.  An additional deferment extension may be issued if there is a delay in the receipt of benefits provided the extension is requested prior to the deferment due date.

The University of West Florida is in compliance with PL 115-407 section 103.

Click YES if you would like to be granted 90 days in which to pay the University of West Florida for tuition and fees associated with your training.  A Veteran is eligible for this benefit if the student is receiving VA education benefits under Chapters 30, 32, 35, or 1606.

The University of West Florida is in compliance with PL 115-407, section 103.

Whenever you are less than full time during the semester, VA will prorate your BAH payments.

No.  To receive the BAH, you must be taking classes greater than 51%.  Training time depends on several factors. Check with the MVRC to determine your training time.

VA tries to process enrollment within 30 days of a Enrollment Manager submission from the school.  To ensure payments are on time, certify as early as possible.

Because of the complexity of this question, please visit the MVRC in Bldg 38, Room 147 and speak with a Transition Coach or the VSOC.  (VA will send you an explanation of benefits each semester).

Contact the Military and Veterans Resource Center (MVRC) and ensure they have you correctly certified.

Tuition and fees will not be submitted until after the semesters drop/add period.  Once VA processes your enrollment, payment will be made.  The time line will vary on when the certification is submitted.

No.  Veterans must apply for the waiver.  Once approved, they will be granted for the waiver each semester while concurrently enrolled.  Spouse and dependents must be using VA Education Benefits and concurrently enrolled.

Most likely the answer will be yes.  Please contact the MVRC and let us review your file and circumstances.

If you do not live in Florida and are using the Post 9/11 GI Bill® with 100% Certificate Of Eligibility (COE), you may apply for Yellow Ribbon.  Students do not qualify if they do not have a 100% COE.

General FAQs

Bright Futures can be used for any educational expenses whether they are direct costs to the university or not.  Bright Futures can work as cash.  The award is based on a set amount per credit hour.  If the student has another fund that covered their tuition/fees, then Bright Futures can apply to any other part of the student's bill or be refunded to the student. Bright Futures does not affect VA benefits.

Florida Prepaid does not affect students receiving VA benefits.

VA now requires Institute of Higher Learning (IHL) schools to report only the actual net cost of in-state tuition and fees assessed by the school for degree program. IHL will apply any waiver of, or reduction in, tuition and fees AND any scholarship, Federal, State, institutional, or employer based aid or assistance, that is provided directly to the university and specifically designated for the sole purpose of defraying tuition and fees before calculating your VA Education Benefit.

If they are specific to tuition and fees, they will be applied to defraying the cost of tuition and fees before calculating VA benefits. If they can be used for any educational expense, then they will not affect VA benefits.

Title IV funds are excluded from VA benefits.  (Pell Grant, Sub and Unsub Loans, etc.) 

Can I use my VA Benefits while in the Grit program?

Yes, contact the Military & Veterans Resource Center (MVRC,, 850-474-2550) for certification information (note you must be degree-seeking to use benefits).

How will the 11 credit hour maximum requirement affect my VA Stipend? 

The 11 credit hour maximum will place your VA Certification at 3/4 time for your living stipend and use 3/4 time of a month. 

The following spring semester, when enrolling in 12 credit hours, term 1 (* note - credit requirements change with terms and semester), your VA Certification will be full-time for your living stipend and use one month of benefits. 

Recipients of the Purple Heart or other combat decoration superior in precedence may receive a tuition and fees waiver.  The student must be enrolled in an undergraduate program of study leading to a degree or certificate, is currently and was at the time of the military action that resulted in the awarding of the combat decoration a resident of Florida, and submits a copy of the Department of Defense Form 214 (DD-214) as documentation that the student received the Purple Heart or other combat decoration superior in precedence. The waiver is applicable for 110 percent of the number of required credit hours of the degree or certificate program for which the student is enrolled.

If you have a combat award, please contact the UWF Cashier for more information and entitlements.

In order to certify for your classes, you need to make sure the classes you are taking at the transient school will count as credit toward your degree at the University of West Florida (UWF).  Go to and complete the online Transient Student Form.  The Transient Student Application is available online through Florida Virtual Campus at  You will receive an email confirming the courses at your transient college or university can be credited to your degree here at UWF.  Print out the confirmation email / Transient Student Form and turn in to the transient school along with your certification form.  At the end of the semester, you will need to send/turn-in your transcripts from the transient institution to UWF.

The VA will pay for any course you take that falls under your degree program, minors and certificate programs as required for graduation.  For some courses, a letter from your academic advisor informing the Military and Veterans Resource Center (MVRC) that a course is required may be needed in order to certify it.

Contact the University of West Florida's (UWF) Military & Veterans Resource Center (MVRC) to find out if the course(s) you are taking have been approved by the Veterans Affairs (VA) State Approving Agency (SAA).

VA --  Login to your ID.Me or account on

UWF -- Open your MYUWF account.  Open the Contact and Privacy Info tab and update address.

Print a copy of the confirmation page that shows your confirmation number and provide to the MVRC.

Once you have identified where you want to go to school, please apply as soon as possible.  You can apply for the school and VA benefits at the same time, the sooner the better.

As soon as you submit a VA enrollment certification form via your MYUWF account, we start the certification process.  Once your benefits and all your classes are verified, they will be submitted to the VA.

Contact your academic advisor.  If you get an email stating you need an advisor letter, forward the email to the advisor.  If you meet with your advisor, they may be able to update your degree works with the class.  Students that have an undecided degree must get a letter from the academic advisor listing the classes and stating the major to which they will be applied.

Change the class, add a minor, or get an academic advisor to approve the class on your degree works or in writing.

To qualify as a Florida resident for tuition purposes, the student (dependent or independent) must submit documentation to the admissions office to prove they are a U.S. Citizen, permanent resident alien, or a legal alien granted indefinite stay by U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, and must have established physical and legal residence in Florida for at least one year.

The answer depends on many variables:

Undergraduate: full time is 12 hours during the fall and spring semester for term 1 and 9 hours during the summer semester for term 1.

Graduate: full time is 6 hours each semester during term 1.

However, since there are 9 parts of a term, it is best to visit the MVRC and review your schedule with a transition coach to determine what your training time will be.

VA approves and certifies all classes listed on the VA WEAMS website for UWF and listed in the UWF PDF catalog.

Army, Coast Guard, Marine, Navy

The Army, Coast Guard, Marine and Navy , including Active Duty, Reserve, and Veterans, are processed through the Department of Defense JST portal.  Guard and Reserves can only request their official transcript online through the DoD JST portal, while active duty process either online or by mail.  Forms and mailing addresses are located in the DoD JST portal Instruction Page.

Air Force

The CCAF transcripts are maintained by the Air Force Air University (AU).  Official transcripts can be ordered for free online, free via written request, or by first class mail or overnight with tracking numbers (pricing varies subject to USPS or FedEx rates). Airmen can also view their unofficial transcript through the Air Force Virtual Education Center (AFVEC).

To request an official transcript, simply log on to:



The following Music Ensemble Courses are 0 credit hours and cannot be certified to be paid for by the VA:

MUN 3100   UWF Argo Athletic Band

MUN 3133   The University of West Florida Symphonic Band

MUN 3213   Advanced Symphony Orchestra

MUN 3313   UWF Singers

MUN 3323   Concert Choir

MUN 3363   Advanced Chamber Choir

MUN 3443   Percussion Ensemble

MUN 3483   Guitar Ensemble

MUN 3713   Jazz Combo

MUN 4411   String Quartet

MUN 4714   UWF Jazz Ensemble