The following are available tuition waivers to help with funding your education.
Non-Florida resident members of the U.S. Armed Forces on active duty stationed outside of Florida are eligible to receive a waiver of all non-resident tuition and fees. To apply for the waiver, log into your MyUWF account and search for “active duty out of state waiver” (you must be logged into your MyUWF account to access the form). The online dynamic form is brief and requires that you upload a copy of your current orders and most recent LES. Waiver approval usually takes one to two working days. This is a one-time process provided that you are continuously enrolled.
NOTE: The University only requires the top line of your LES and Block 44 (state abbreviation where your state taxes are paid). Please redact all other information prior to uploading.
Non-Florida resident members of the U.S. Armed Forces on active duty stationed in Florida and their spouse and dependents do not require out-of-state waivers because they are eligible to receive Temporary Residency for tuition status. To receive Temporary Residence, declare that you are military on orders on your UWF admission application, and upload a copy of your current orders to support the request.
Public Health Service (PHS) Officers detailed for duty with the Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard) are considered to be entitled to the same rights, benefits, privileges and immunities as an active duty Army officer, and are eligible for either temporary residency or the active duty out of state waiver. PHS officers not assigned to units of the Armed Forces may be eligible for the 90% (graduate) online tuition waiver.
- Submit the Online Out-of-State Tuition Waiver through your MyUWF account.
To complete the ON CAMPUS active duty out of state waiver, go to your MyUWF account, search "Out-of-State Waiver" and select Active Duty Out of State Waiver.
House Bill 1157 modified the existing Florida Statute 1009.26 eligibility for this tuition fee waiver.
New eligibility requirements are as follows:
1. If a service member is currently living in the State of Florida, but was a resident of another state at the time of the military action, they are eligible for the Purple Heart Waiver.
2. If a service member was a resident of the State of Florida at the time of the military action, they are eligible for the waiver regardless of where they currently reside.
- The Purple Heart Waiver provides a tuition and fee waiver for Florida military veterans who received a purple heart OR combat decoration that is “superior in precedence.”
- Here is a list of medals that would fall under the “superior in precedence” criteria:
- Purple Heart
- Bronze Star (must be “V” designation or device)
- Distinguished Flying Cross
- Legion of Merit (must be “V” designation or device)
- Silver Star
- Air Force Cross
- Navy Cross
- Distinguished Service Cross
- Medal of Honor
- The Purple Heart Waiver covers the cost of tuition and fees toward a degree or certificate program up to 110% of the required hours for the program of study. An eligible student enrolled in any associate degree, baccalaureate degree, or career and technical certificate program at a Florida College System institution would qualify.
- The wavier covers tuition and fees only. This means you will be required to pay for other costs, such as textbooks, housing and food.
To apply, go to your my.uwf.edu page and search for "Military Honor Waiver."
CW Young Veterans Out-of-State Fee Waiver Form
The C.W. “Bill” Young Veteran Tuition Waiver Program is a program that requires a state university, Florida College System institution, or career center to waive out-of-state fees for an honorably discharged veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces, the U.S. Reserve Forces or the National Guard or any other student who is entitled and uses educational assistance provided by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, and who physically resides in Florida while enrolled in the institution.
Under section 1002.34, F.S., UWF shall waive out-of-state fees for:
(a) Honorably discharged veterans of the United States Armed and Reserve Forces (Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, and Navy) and the National Guard (Army and Air) or any other student who is entitled to and uses educational assistance provided by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs who physically resides in Florida while enrolled as a degree or certificate seeking student. Tuition and fees charged to a student who qualifies for the out-of-state fee waiver under this subsection may not exceed the tuition and fees charged a resident student enrolled in the same program.
Students eligible for the waiver must submit the “Veteran O/S Waiver Form” or the “Veteran Dependent O/S Waiver Form” online via MYUWF (my.uwf.edu). They must upload a copy of the Department of Defense Form 214 (DD-214-veterans only), Certificate of Eligibility (Dependents only), a VA Enrollment Certification Form (Dependents only) and documentation of their Florida residence. Veteran students will remain eligible under the waiver as long as they are actively enrolled and Dependents will remain eligible under the waiver as long as they are active students using benefits. Please notify MVRC if your residency is listed as a Non-Florida Resident. (email@example.com or 850.474.2550).
Veterans using Chapter 31
In accordance with Public Law (Pub. L.) 115-251, Section 301, public institutions of higher learning (IHL) must comply with the requirement that Veterans who reside in the state and are using educational assistance under title 38 United States Code (U.S.C.) Chapter 31, will be charged the resident rate regardless of whether the Veteran meets the state’s residency requirements. This includes Chapter 31 Veterans previously covered in 38 U.S.C. 3679(c). The expectation is that as soon as the Veteran can establish residency, he or she will do so. If the IHL has other requirements to meet the standard for in-state tuition and fee rates, Chapter 31 Veterans must adhere to those requirements to qualify for in-state tuition and fee rates. Please notify MVRC if your residency is listed as a Non-Florida Resident. (firstname.lastname@example.org or 850.474.2550
Non-Florida resident enrolled in a UWF Air Force or Army ROTC program are eligible to receive a waiver of all non-resident tuition and fees.
To apply for the waiver, log into your MyUWF account and search for “ROTC out of state waiver” (you must be logged into your MyUWF account to access the form). The online dynamic form is brief and requires that you upload a copy of proof of current residence in Florida and a verification of enrollment from the ROTC program. Waiver approval usually takes one to two working days. This is a semester by semester process, you must remain enrolled in an ROTC program and be taking a Military Science course to be eligible for the waiver.
The Online Free Seat Program was created “to encourage veteran, active duty members of the United State Armed Forces, active drilling members of the Florida National Guard, and nontraditional students to enroll in an online baccalaureate program at a state university.”
Those that qualify will receive a waiver of tuition and applicable fees for one course during their first semester and a 25% discount against tuition/matriculation and tuition differential for all other courses up to 110 percent of the number of required hours within the online degree program. Fees will not be discounted.
- Be a Florida resident for tuition purposes;
- Not have previously earned a bachelor’s degree;
- Be enrolled in an online baccalaureate degree program as defined in the “Online Baccalaureate Program” section below;
- Meet one of the following eligibility requirements:
- Is a veteran as defined in s. 1.01(14), F.S.;
- Is an active duty member of the United States Armed Forces;
- Is an active drilling member of the Florida National Guard whose eligibility is validated by the service member’s unit Commander and/or the Commander’s designated representative serving as the Unit Point of Contact;
- Is a nontraditional student, defined for the purposes of this program as a student who has earned a Florida standard high school diploma, a high school diploma comparable to a Florida standard high school diploma, or its equivalent, or completed a home education program, and has been out of high school or home education program for at least 5 years. A nontraditional student must not have been enrolled in a postsecondary institution in the last 5 years.
Students who wish to be considered for the Online Free Seat program must submit a FSW Program application through MyUWF and be approved by their institution to participate in the program.
To remain eligible for the Online Free Seat Program, students must enroll at least part-time in the program during each academic year.
Active drilling members of the Florida National Guard must submit the Verification of Active Drilling Status form. The form must be signed by the member’s Unit Commander and/or designated representative serving as the Unit Point of Contact (electronic signatures may be used, if needed). Such verification must be conducted each term in which the student is participating in the Online Free Seat Program.
Online Baccalaureate Program
1. For purposes of this program, online baccalaureate programs are those programs/majors included in the Board of Governors Online Program Inventory (https://prod.flbog.net:4445/pls/apex/f?p=136:13).
2. The Free Seat Program applies to online baccalaureate programs/majors funded by E&G and those that are self-supporting; both types of programs are identified as online programs and are included in the Board of Governors Online Program Inventory.
3. All courses that are waived or discounted must be a part of the online baccalaureate degree program in which the student is enrolled.
Effective Fall 2021, students enrolled in one of ten selected Programs of Strategic Emphasis in science, technology, engineering, or math may be eligible to receive a tuition and fee waiver for an equivalent course within that program.
- Students must be a Florida resident for tuition purposes.
- Students must have earned at least 60 semester credit hours towards a baccalaureate degree within two academic years after initial enrollment at a Florida public postsecondary institution.
- Students must be accepted and enrolled into one of the ten Programs of Strategic Emphasis.
Computer and Information Systems
Electrical and Electronics Engineering
Management Information Systems
Accounting (effective Fall 2022)
Finance (effective Fall 2022)
- Only applies to upper-division courses defined as 3000/4000 level courses.
- Only applicable up to 110 percent of the number of required credit hours for the degree program.
- Can only be applied towards a first bachelor’s degree.
- Cannot be applied retroactively.
- Does not qualify towards market rate or self-funding supporting programs.
- Cannot be used with other waivers.
Eligible students will receive a 50 percent waiver against tuition and applicable fees for courses required within the degree program.
Students are not required to request this waiver. Those eligible will have the waiver automatically applied and will be notified via email.