Frequently Asked Questions
You have the questions, we have the answers.
Yes! There are plenty of opportunities to participate in research, especially through the OUR Explorers Program. OUR also hosts information sessions on "Getting Started in Undergraduate Research" several times each semester. Any student with any level of research experience is welcome to attend. Volunteering time to help clean a lab or research articles can be a great way to learn the basics of research and make valuable connections with possible research mentors.
In addition to completing a research project under the guidance of a faculty mentor, OUR Award recipients are also required to do the following:
- Support the Mission, Vision, Values, and Goals of the University of West Florida
- Participate in the Student Scholars Symposium at the end of the spring semester
- Complete a program evaluation survey at the end of the spring semester
- Act as ambassadors to the OUR program and speak to at least one approved campus event about their research experience at UWF. Campus events include classes (especially introductory level courses), campus tour groups, or other campus events.
If you are interested in OUR recruiting students for your research, please complete the form: Faculty Mentor Interest Form.
Absolutely not! Research is important and vital across all academic areas, including communications, tourism, and business, to name a few. Research doesn't always have to occur in a laboratory with beakers or burners.
Absolutely! Students can enroll for research credit hours. Talk to your faculty mentor or department's academic adviser to get more information and find out the course name and number for your department.
Also, review the OUR Transcript Notations opportunity to receive credit for research.
The Office of Undergraduate Research is located in building 4, room 408. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 850.474.2298.
- The College of Science and Engineering offers student stipends for students in this department working on summer research projects through their Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP). OUR supports this program by providing professional development workshops for SURP students. Applications for this program are typically available early in the spring semester- talk with your faculty mentor if you are interested in applying.
- There are many off-campus research opportunities available throughout the country. OUR is happy to offer assistance in searching for opportunities tailored to your discipline, financial, or geographical interests/needs. Check out the Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) for a current listing of external opportunities. Please contact OUR at email@example.com or 850.474.2298 to schedule an appointment with our staff.
From the recent Fall 2021 Faculty Bootcamp, hosted by Global Online and CUTLA, OUR Director, Dr. Allison Schwartz presents how UWF faculty and staff can get started in undergraduate research. Watch this recorded video presentation using this link, Undergraduate Research: How to Get Involved