This program is currently not active.
The CyberSkills2Work Florida, offered by the University of West Florida’s Center for Cybersecurity, is an intensive cybersecurity training program designed to help individuals launch or advance cybersecurity careers. The program provides FREE cybersecurity training and career development for eligible Florida residents to prepare and transition them to rewarding cybersecurity jobs.
Delivery Format: Online (100% Asynchronous)
2023 Program Information
The program prepares participants for System Administrator and related cybersecurity work roles. The program will provide asynchronous online training courses, industry certification preparation, and vouchers, digital badges and credentials, professional development, and job placement support.
This pathway will be offered for a cohort of 8 eligible participants. All costs for eligible and accepted participants will be covered by a grant from the Department of Education via the Florida Center for Cybersecurity Expanding Cybersecurity and Information Technology Pathways.
System Administrator Pathway
January 17 - August 31, 2023.
This seven-month, four-course training pathway prepares participants for entry-level System Administrator and related cybersecurity work roles as described in the NICE Cybersecurity Workforce Framework. This program is a great opportunity for those with no/minimal prior IT/cybersecurity experience who want to launch a career in cybersecurity.
Training courses include:
- CompTIA A+ Exam Prep
- CompTIA Network+ Exam Prep
- Essential Cyber Defenses
- CompTIA Security+ Exam Prep
The program includes industry certification prep courses and vouchers for CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, and CompTIA Security+.
- Offers a short-term, intensive cybersecurity training pathway and career development support at no cost to eligible participants.
- Instructor-led courses are taught by UWF faculty and prepare students for cybersecurity careers with foundational knowledge and hands-on skills and exercises via the Florida Cyber Range.
- Includes industry certification prep courses and vouchers, including CompTIA A+, Network+, and Security+.
- Career development support and access to connect with employers and job opportunities.
- Provides industry certifications, digital badges, and credentials to document skills and competencies.
- Program and courses are 100% asynchronous online, making learning accessible and convenient. Some course and program activities may include optional synchronous online, e.g., Q&A sessions, which will be recorded for asynchronous viewing.
Program Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for program consideration, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Florida Resident for a minimum of 12 months
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Strong interest in cybersecurity and working in the field upon completion of the program
- Availability to fully participate in program during the entire duration and complete all course and program requirements
- Some IT or cybersecurity experience
- Once selected, participants will also need to meet any other program requirements. Some job opportunities may require the ability to obtain a security clearance.
- Associate's or Bachelor’s degree in IT or STEM-related area
- At least two years of IT or cybersecurity experience
- Security clearance (active or past)
Program Participation Requirements
This is an intensive training program. Participants must dedicate ample time to participating in and completing all program and course requirements. To succeed in the program, participants should plan to spend approximately 10-20 hours per week on program and course requirements.
All selected applicants must agree and comply with the following:
- Commit to participate in the program during the entire duration (courses will not run for the entire duration but participants should be available during that time frame).
- Must have your own working computer with camera and mic and reliable high-speed Internet connection.
- Participate in all program and course activities and meetings, including scheduled courses, industry certification exam preparation, career development and information sessions.
- Dedicate time towards self-study and complete all program and course requirements, including assigned readings, labs, assessments, and surveys each week.
- Register for industry certification exams during those courses and take the exams within two weeks of each certification course completion. Report the exam date and results to the course instructor.
- Actively participate in job searches and employment placement efforts during and upon completion of the program.
Application Deadline and Process
Application Deadline: APPLICATION WINDOW CLOSED
*** ALL APPLICATIONS ARE REVIEWED ON A FIRST-COME BASIS ***
Prospective applicants should (1) complete the application form AND (2) submit all required documents in one email to Julie Hunt at email@example.com using the guidelines below before the program deadline.
Please send a single email to Julie Hunt at firstname.lastname@example.org with the required documents in PDF format as attachments.
Please use the following naming convention for the email subject: LastName FirstName Application (e.g., Smith Joe Application).
For each of the required documents, please name the file as FirstName-Last-Name-DocumentType.pdf (e.g., Joe-Smith-Resume.pdf).
Interested in cybersecurity training but not a Florida Resident? We offer other training programs that you may be eligible for! Please complete the interest form for more information.
We encourage prospective applicants to begin to collect all required documents in the interest of time.
- Proof of Florida residency
(a) The documentation supporting the establishment of legal residence must be dated 12 months prior to the first day of classes of the term for which you are applying. All documentation is subject to verification. At least one of the following documents must be submitted to prove residency:*A Florida voter's registration card
*A Florida driver's license
*A State of Florida identification card
*A Florida vehicle registration
*Proof of a permanent home in Florida which is occupied as a primary residence by the individual
*Proof of a homestead exemption in Florida
*Proof of permanent full-time employment in Florida for at least 30 hours per week for a consecutive 12-month period
- A brief up-to-date resume
- A copy of unofficial transcripts for your most advanced degree completed (high school, associate's, or bachelor's degree)
- A 2-page letter of intent that demonstrates your interest and commitment to the program and a cybersecurity career and includes the following components:
(a) Commitment to successfully completing the program and pursuing a career in cybersecurity
(b) Experiences and accomplishments that helped prepare you for this program and a cybersecurity career, including military, IT or cybersecurity education or training, industry certifications, or awards
(c) How this program will help you accomplish your personal and/or professional career aspirations in the field of cybersecurity.
(d) What specific cybersecurity work role(s) or organizations you are interested in working for upon program completion, and why. For more information on the work roles, please visit https://niccs.cisa.gov/workforce-development/cyber-security-workforce-framework/workroles .
(e) Your short-term (1-4 years) and long-term (5+ years) career goals upon successful program completion.
5. At least two professional recommendation letters
If initially selected for the program, you will be required to submit additional documentation to verify your Florida residency. You will receive an email requesting this documentation if you are selected. You may want to start gathering this information in the interest of time.
**Please redact any sensitive information from any documents, including social security number, etc, before submitting them.
More Information or Questions? Please Contact:
Cyberskills2Work Florida Program Team
Dr. Eman El-Sheikh, Associate Vice President, Center for Cybersecurity
Guy Garrett, Associate Director, Technology and Training, Center for Cybersecurity
Dr. Elizabeth Rasnick, Assistant Professor, Center for Cybersecurity
- Cyber Career Pathways Tool
- NICE Cybersecurity Workforce Framework
- Cybersecurity Workforce Development Resources
- Critical Infrastructure Sectors
- CAE-C Community
This program is funded by the Florida Department of Education via the Florida Center for Cybersecurity Expanding Cybersecurity and Information Technology Pathways Program.