Pharmacy Technician Certification Training
Long-term employment prospects and plenty of options for career growth make the in-demand field of pharmacy an excellent career choice. Prepare to sit for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam and become a Certified Pharmacy Technician in as little as four months.
Pharmacy technicians are essential members of the healthcare team and assist with providing patients safe and effective medication therapy. Pharmacy techs work closely with pharmacists and other healthcare professionals in diverse settings such as hospitals, clinics and community pharmacies.
This comprehensive 14-week training course, led by experienced, licensed pharmacists and technicians, will prepare you for the PTCB Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam. You will learn how to provide customer service and basic inventory duties, including:
- Preparing and distributing patient medications
- Receiving prescription requests from patients and doctors' offices
- Collecting accurate patient information and medical history
- Assisting with prior authorization requests
- Accepting payment for prescriptions and processing insurance claims
- Managing medication inventory and orders
- Ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements
In addition to 84 hours in the classroom, and homework study time, you are eligible to complete an 80-clock-hour externship experience. The externship serves as working experience, as well as a reference for future employment.
Pharmacy Technician Certification Prep
Schedule: Tues. and Thurs., 6:00 - 9:00 p.m.
Registration: To maintain a low teacher-student ratio seating is LIMITED. We will be accepting 25 applicants.
For questions regarding the Pensacola class, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 817.694.6231.
Prerequisites for the course include:
- A high school diploma or General Education Diploma (GED).
- No felony or misdemeanor related to the sale of drugs. Traffic violations and any other issues must be cleared up before the externship. This is the sole responsibility of each student.
- A history of vaccinations is periodically required to work in the externship.
- Commitment to the rigorous 14-week course schedule.
- Join a rapidly growing career field and make a difference in patients’ lives.
- Train at an accredited University with experienced instructors.
- Opportunities for career growth—technicians can earn a number of specialty certifications to qualify for higher-paying positions, work towards a doctoral degree and become a pharmacist, or transition into management or pharmaceutical sales.
- No degree application required.
Near the completion of the class portion of the program, our Class Coordinator or Instructor will work with you to place you in a local pharmacy to gain hands-on experience vital for your success. The location of the pharmacy and the times you work will be based on location availability. The externship location will work to accommodate your schedule, and ideally, be completed in about four weeks. Full details will be given out during a class session. Once you complete the externship, you will receive your certificate of completion from the University of West Florida.
Military Spouse Career Advancement (MyCAA) offers up to $4,000 to military spouses interested in pursuing continuing education, degree programs, licenses, or credentials leading to careers in high growth, high demand, and portable career fields. Upon creating a MyCAA account the Department of Defense will provide notification of eligibility.
For more information on Military benefits or additional funding opportunities, contact the UWF & Military Veterans Resource Center (MVRC) at 850.474.2550 or email@example.com.
Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA)
The Workforce Innovation & Opportunity Act is a federal grant that covers training expenses for eligible individuals. To check for eligibility and apply for the WIOA grant, contact or CareerSource Okaloosa Walton.
The WIOA application process takes several weeks, so please do not delay in getting started. Once WIOA grant approval is awarded, contact our Student Support Center for a Letter of Acceptance.
- Pharmacology for Technicians Textbook and Workbook
- Complete Math Review for the Pharmacy Technician
- Pharmacy Calculations for Technicians
- Flash Cards of the Top 200 Drugs
- Scrub Set
- PTCB Exam Review Guide
- Pocket Guide for Technicians Generic-Brand Name Reference
- Externship Manual
- Pharmacy Technician Student Manual
- Course Handouts
Pharmacy Technicians - Employment & Education
As the population ages and the prevalence of chronic diseases increases, more pharmacy techs will be needed in pharmacies and may even see themselves taking on greater responsibilities in their role.
- Job Outlook: 5% (As fast as average)
- Number of Jobs, 2021: 447,300
- Median Pay: $36,740 per year
Source: May 2023
Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) Recognized Education/Training Program.
"This exceptional course is well worth the price of admission! I passed the national exam on my initial attempt and was hired by CVS Pharmacy a few weeks after completing the course. I sped through CVS’s training program as a result of this course. Each day while working in the pharmacy the 'return of investment' of this valuable curriculum grows exponentially!”
— Craig Palmer, Pharmacy Technician Program Alumn