Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Immunization FAQs | University of West Florida
Skip to main content

Immunization FAQs

Click on the questions below to get answers to the most Frequently Asked Questions related to Immunizations. If your question isn't listed, please call or come by Student Health Services.

You can submit your immunization records through the Immunization Status app within MyUWF.

  1. Log into your account
  2. Type "Immunization Status" and hit enter in search bar
  3. In the 2nd box (gray box), click on the blue UWF Mandatory Immunization Form link that takes you to the Mandatory Immunization Health History Form
  4. Complete the form, mark any waiver boxes if applicable, upload documents, sign the electronic signature and be sure to hit SUBMIT
  5. After review, your account will be cleared, or you will receive an email indicating exactly what you are missing. This is located in red at the bottom of the form you submitted.

    The usual turnaround time is 48-72 business hours

You may contact your parents/guardians to see if they have any official documentation for you, like a childhood shot record. You can also try any public schools that you may have attended. Previous colleges and/or universities are good sources, especially if you are a transfer student. Previous physicians, military documents, the Florida Department of Health, or your state’s local health department may also have records.

An MMR is a measles, mumps, and rubella combination shot.

Immunizations is located in Student Health Services in Building 960, on the first floor. Our building is between the tennis courts and the Center for Fine & Performing Arts.

Please call 850.474.2172, option 2 and we will be happy to check to see if we have immunization records on file for you, and if they meet the current requirements.

You may have your current university print a copy of your immunization records.

The student must provide a letter from a healthcare provider, signed on official medical office stationery and including the official stamp from the office, stating the medical reason(s) why the student is not able to receive the vaccine(s), and indicating if this is a temporary or permanent condition.

You may submit a dated letter from your physician stating your situation. Pregnant women are routinely tested for rubella, so you should be able to obtain the test result from your OB/GYN.

The student must provide a form from the Health Department stating exemption Form FL-DH681.

Students enrolled in a fully online program will be provided an option to waive their immunization requirement.

To Waive Immunization Requirement

  1. Log into
  2. Seach for Immunization Status
  3. Select the option to waive your requirements

You have the option of having a blood test done (titer) to show the presence of the measles and rubella antibodies. If the test results are positive and show immunity to measles and rubella, then this is acceptable to meet the requirement. However, if the test results are negative, then you would have to show proof of immunization or receive the vaccines.

Having had the measles and/or rubella in the past is NOT sufficient proof of immunity. You may have a blood test (titer) to show that you have antibodies in your system against this disease.

Yes. Prospective students may receive MMR and Hepatitis B, as well as titer tests for Measles, Rubella and Hepatitis B. For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 850.474.2172, option 1.

A "stamp" can be the office address. The Immunization History Form can also be used in the event your healthcare provider does not have a shot records form. The form must be stamped, signed, and completed by a healthcare provider or it will not be accepted. The office may also print out your vaccination dates on office letterhead and include a healthcare provider signature and date for proof of receiving vaccinations.

You may complete an  Authorization for Release of Confidential Information form to request your immunization records. Please be advised that depending on the dates you attended UWF, your immunization records may not be available due to a change in our electronic medical records system. You may also come in person to SHS with your UWF ID# and fill out the request form. For more information, visit the Confidential Records Release Request page.

Recent evidence found students residing on campus in dormitories appear to be at higher risk for meningococcal disease than college students overall. Further research recently released by the CDC shows freshmen living in dormitories have a six times higher risk of meningococcal disease than college students overall. Anyone can come in contact with the bacteria that causes meningococcal disease since it is easily transmitted through the air droplets of respiratory secretions and direct contact with an infected person. Data also indicates certain behaviors, such as exposure to passive and active smoking, bar patronage, and excessive alcohol consumption may put students at increased risk for the disease.

The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and the American College Health Association recommend that college students, particularly college freshmen who live in or plan to live in dormitories or resident halls, consider getting the Meningitis MCV4 vaccine to reduce their risk of meningococcal disease. The Florida Legislature mandates that students living in on-campus housing be vaccinated for Meningitis and Hepatitis B or sign a waiver refusing the vaccinations.

The meningococcal MCV4 vaccine has been shown to provide protection against the most common strains of the disease, including serogroups A, C, Y and W-135. As with any vaccine, meningococcal MCV4 vaccination may not protect 100% of susceptible individuals. Protection from the vaccine lasts for at least 3-5 years.

SHS offers the following immunizations at a reduced cost for all UWF students: MMR (measles, mumps, rubella), Hepatitis B (3 shot series), Tdap (tetanus/diphtheria, pertussis), and Flu vaccine.