Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility FAQs | University of West Florida
Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Click on the links below to get answers to the most Frequently Asked Questions. If your question isn't listed, please call or come by Student Health Services.

Student Health Services (SHS) is open from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday. If you need medical care when SHS is closed, please see Local Resources.

Yes. Please call SHS at 850-474-2172 and select option 1. A receptionist will assist you in scheduling an appointment.

The student health fee covers provider visits; however, there are charges for other services, including facility-administered medications, labs, vaccines and certain procedures (pap smears, nebulizer treatments, etc.). We accept Visa, Mastercard and American Express. See our estimated pricing sheet here.

Yes. We provide women’s health services including well woman exam visits, contraception, pap smears, and testing & treatment for sexually transmitted infections.

No. We do not have specialists, but we can provide primary care evaluation and refer as needed. We do not have dental services.

No. We do not dispense medications. Certain medications are stocked in-house and administered on-site by licensed nurses on the order of our medical providers. For most patients, prescriptions are sent electronically to the local pharmacy of the patient's choice.

Plan B is the “morning after pill”. It is taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex to prevent an unplanned pregnancy. It is not available at SHS, but is available over the counter at most local pharmacies.

Yes, there are fees for these testing services. You can review our pricing list here. Appointments are required.

Yes, they are located in the SHS waiting area, in the first-floor restrooms in Building 960, and in condom machines located in the restrooms of these locations:

  • Argo Galley, Building 22
  • Pace Library, Building 32 (first floor)
  • SAIL Lab, Building 79
  • Health, Leisure and Sports Center, Building 72
  • Wellness Services, Building 960, (upstairs, Suite 200B)

Yes. We draw blood for routine labs ordered at SHS.

Yes. We have vaccines. Please visit our UWF Immunization Policy page for specific information regarding what is required and available.

We refer students to Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) treatment of this condition. CAPS does not diagnose ADD, they only continue treatment for students who have already been diagnosed. For more information visit CAPS' ADD/ADHD Medication page.

Students requiring medications for depression are generally referred to Counseling and Psychological Services.

Students who miss class due to an illness and have a scheduled appointment at Student Health Services (SHS) on the same day are entitled to a note stating they were seen in the clinic.

No, however, student health fees cover the provider visit, and our other services are reasonably priced. SHS can provide you with a receipt for insurance reimbursement purposes as requested.


Yes. We offer inexpensive urine or blood pregnancy tests.

We draw blood and send it to an outside lab for testing, and we perform limited on-site testing.

No, but we can write an order referring you to a local radiology center.

Yes. We can assist students with family planning options.

Yes. We draw blood for this test and send it to a local lab.

Our providers can evaluate a laceration to determine whether sutures are needed. Depending on site/severity, we may be able to provide sutures. We also remove sutures and staples.

Students are seen by appointment. Patients with urgent needs are referred appropriately if a same-day appointment is not available.

Yes. Members of our staff are professionally licensed as Registered Nurses, LPNs, Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioners or Medical Doctors.

An average appointment is 20 minutes. Well-woman visits and STI appointments are scheduled for 40 minutes because of testing/treatment requirements.

No. We only provide your medical information to your parents with your written consent if you are 18 or older.