Academic Programs

The University of West Florida offers multiple Undergraduate programs and also has a variety of post-graduate degrees to choose from as well.


A complete list of majors and minors can be found in the Undergraduate Academic Catalog. Graduate programs can be found in the Graduate Academic Catalog.

Please read UWF’s policies on changing a major found in the University Catalog prior to submitting a Change of Major/Minor (Current Undergraduates).

Graduate students who wish to change degree programs should contact the Graduate School.  

For additional information and instructions on how to change your major, please see Declaring or Changing a Major.

*Students will not be permitted to declare a double major/dual degree if both majors have the same CIP code. Contact the Office of the Registrar for detailed information.

For departments: Major CICS and Banner codes

Change of Major FAQs

How long does it take to process my change of major/minor?

Because there are several levels of approbation, the Office of the Registrar cannot complete the process until all approvals have been received. So, please allow 5-7 business days for the processing and do not submit duplicate forms within this period; it will only complicate and lengthen processing. You will receive UWF student account email confirmation when the change is complete.

After I change my major, or declare a new minor, who is my new Academic Advisor?

After receiving your email confirmation, please contact the department offering your new declaration for advisor assignment. New advising assignments (for majors only) can also be seen in the Advising Status app in MyUWF.

May I declare a minor offered by my major department?

No. Per University policy, students are not permitted to declare/pursue a minor offered by their major department; e.g. Major: Social Work, minor: Social Welfare. Please consult the University Catalog for minor descriptions and requirements.

What is the difference between a double major and a dual degree?

A Double Major is declared when seeking one degree, e.g. BA, with two separate majors* concurrently, e.g. BA in Psychology, and a BA in Sociology. After successful completion of all requirements for both majors, students will be awarded one degree (e.g. one B.A. or one B.S., etc.) with two majors listed on the diploma and transcript. 

A Dual Degree is declared when seeking two different degrees (e.g. BA+BS, BSBA+BA, etc.) and graduating with both simultaneously. After successful completion of all requirements for both majors, students will be awarded two separate diplomas (e.g. BA and BS, etc.).

*Students will not be permitted to declare a Double Major/Dual Degree if both majors have the same CIP code.  Majors with the same CIP code generally have different specializations under the same major. Examples of different specializations within the same major are; Major: Health, Leisure, and Exercise Science (B.S.)  Specializations: Exercise Science and Sports Management, or Major: Communication Arts (B.A.) - Specializations: Advertising and Public Relations.  Contact the Office of the Registrar for further clarification.

Could changing or declaring majors and minors negatively impact students?

Yes, it may prolong your degree completion. Because every student’s situation is unique, all students are highly recommended to speak with an Academic Advisor, review Excess Hour Surcharge legislation (Undergraduates only), and consult Financial Aid if you receive loans or grant.

Will my earned credit hours/courses apply to my new major/minor/double major or dual degree?

Academic advisors can assist students in understanding new major/minor requirements, and how earned credit hours can be applicable. Also, using Degree Works, students can use the “What-If” option to process an audit for a program of interest. “What-If?” audits show the requirements for a program and how completed courses will apply to the program of interest. The “What-if” option does not change your major, nor does it guarantee you will be able to graduate in the area you select.