Electronic Health Records Specialist
Earn your electronic health record specialist certification at UWF and play a vital role in ensuring patient data is secure and accurate. Gain the skills required to become an administrative asset in any healthcare environment and earn your EHR Specialist Certification through the National Healthcareers Association (NHA) in as little as four months.
Certified Electronic Health Records Specialists use digital classification systems to code and categorize patient data for insurance reimbursement needs and accurate medical treatment records. Skilled EHR Specialists provide critical support in the proper handling of patient information by ensuring data is accurate, organized and secure.
The UWF CEHRS training course will equip you with the knowledge and experience necessary to pass the NHA certification exam and become a valuable member of a health information management team. Earning your EHR certification opens a range of employment opportunities in to hospitals, physician offices, surgery centers, nursing homes, mental health facilities and even insurance companies and consulting firms.
As a Certified EHR Specialist, you will interact with patients, physicians and insurance professionals in order to ensure the best possible medical care experience. EHR certification training from UWF will prepare you to utilize EHR software for health record management, you will also learn how to:
- Audit patient records for compliance
- Abstract clinical information for reports
- Perform basic coding to submit reimbursement claims
- Process Release of Information (ROI) requests for medical records
- Review patient records to ensure completion and accuracy
- Collect patient demographic and insurance information
- Discuss patient information with physicians and insurance professionals
This comprehensive 12-week program provides theoretical and practical training through a mix of live, online lectures and hands-on, in-person learning experiences.
Electronic Health Records Specialist
Dates: September 5 - November 16, 2023
Schedule: Tues. and Thurs., 6:00 - 9:00 p.m.
Course Contact Hours: 72 hours
Registration: To maintain a low teacher-student ratio seating is LIMITED. We will be accepting 20 applicants into this program.
Tuition includes all live instruction, materials, and CEHRS exam.
For registration information email Carmen Martinez Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 817.716.2716.
Location: Live virtual instruction
- A high school diploma or General Education Diploma (GED).
- No felony or misdemeanor related to the sale of drugs. Traffic violations and any other issues must be resolved prior to the externship. This is the sole responsibility of each student.
- Commitment to the rigorous 12-week course schedule.
- Train at an accredited University with experienced instructors.
- No degree application required.
- Enjoy the job security of an in-demand career as well as opportunities for career growth and advancement opportunities.
- Since electronic health records are managed primarily online, EHR Specialists may have opportunities for a remote or home-based position.
Non-Credit Course Tuition Assistance
Since Continuing Education courses do not lead to a college degree, they are not eligible for traditional forms of financial aid. However, some financial institutions provide loan options to students needing educational financial assistance. We also have military spouse benefits and payment plans (for select programs).
If you require financial assistance for a non-credit course, there are several options available to you based on individual programs and eligibility.
Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist - Employment and Education
As Electronic Health Records (EHRs) replace traditional paper charts and become commonplace in healthcare settings, the need for skilled EHR Specialists to manage and organize large amounts of healthcare data is increasing. Employment of medical records specialists is projected to grow 7 percent from 2021 to 2031, about as fast as the average for all occupations.
- Job Outlook: 7% (As fast as average)
- Number of Jobs, 2021: 186,400
- Median Pay: $46,660 per year
Source: June 2023
National Healthcareer Association (NHA) is one of the nation’s largest allied health certification providers. Since 1989, the NHA has helped thousands of schools across the nation produce better professionals. Individuals who pass their certification exam will be recognized as Nationally Certified Healthcare professionals.