Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Traveling as an International Student | University of West Florida
Skip to main content

Traveling on an F-1 or J-1 visa

Visiting home, exploring the U.S., and studying in other countries are all great things to do. Following these instructions will make sure that you do not have any problems with immigration.

General Travel Guidelines

The best thing to do if you are planning to travel outside the U.S. is to meet with an International Programs adviser. Immigration rules can change frequently, so it is best to double-check before departing the U.S. If you are traveling outside of Pensacola but inside the U.S., we ask that you inform the International Center of when you are traveling and where you are going. This is so that if you have a problem, we know where you are. 

What Documents to Have in Florida

When you are traveling in Florida, you should always have either a Florida State ID or copies of your passport and immigration documents. 

Travel in the U.S.

When you are traveling outside Florida, you need to have proof of your legal immigration status. You can do this by taking your passport, Form DS-2019 or I-20, and your Form I-94 with you. If you are not sure what these documents are, visit International Programs and we can help you. 

Leaving and Re-Entering the U.S.

Before leaving the U.S., it is very important to visit with an International Programs adviser if you are planning to re-enter the U.S. We will check that your visa is still valid and provide you with an updated travel signature. The following documents are required for re-entry into the U.S. You must carry these original documents with you. Do not pack them in your luggage. 

1. You must have your passport valid for at least six months from your re-entry date.

2. You must have your Form I-20 with a valid travel signature or Form DS-2019 with a valid travel signature. 

3. You must have a valid visa. If your visa is not still valid, you must plan to renew it while you are abroad. We recommend that you extend your visa in your home country.