Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Getting Health Insurance | University of West Florida
Skip to main content

Getting Health Insurance

Health insurance is an important requirement for F-1 and J-1 students and scholars.


Health Insurance

Students and scholars on F-1 and J-1 visas are required to have insurance by Florida Board of Governor's Regulation 6.009. Insurance is required to keep your immigration status valid. The regulation specifies the type and amounts of insurance and how long you must have it for. F-1 and J-1 students have the following obligations:

  1. Keep the required coverage during your entire period of study. This includes breaks and annual vacation.
  2. Provide documentation showing proof of this coverage to International Programs following the process listed below.
  3. Purchase insurance coverage for any F-2 or J-2 dependents attached to your F-1 or J-1 status.

Failure to comply with these requirements forces the University of West Florida to terminate your immigration status.

UWF students have two options to show proof of health insurance.

  1. Purchase the UWF student policy.
  2. Submit an approved waiver by the deadline.

For more information on getting insurance, see Maintaining Required Insurance as an F-1 or J-1 Student.

Many foreign insurance companies and travel insurance plans do not meet the State of Florida regulations.  It is important to review a policy carefully before you purchase it.