Intensive English Program
Study English in the U.S.A on Pensacola Florida's beautiful Emerald Coast.
The primary mission of the Intensive English Program is to prepare international students for successful study at the graduate or undergraduate level in institutions of higher learning in the USA.
Students are taught to:
- Read university-level materials.
- Write academic papers and take exams.
- Speak more fluently in both formal and informal settings.
- Take good, clear notes at lectures.
- Complete timed, objective tests.
- Function knowledgeably in American culture and in a university environment.
The IEP also provides language instruction to individuals admitted to the University of West Florida who wish to improve their level of English proficiency and cultural awareness in the form of English for Non-Native Speakers (ENS) courses.
- The Intensive English Program offers five levels of instruction, beginning through advanced.
- Students are given an Entry English Placement Test (EPT) on the first day of class, and the results are used to determine students' level placements.
- Students who are stronger in one skill than another may be placed in different levels for each skill.
- Advancement to the next level of instruction is based on academic performance, meeting level completion requirements, attendance, instructor recommendations, and Exit EPT results.
- During most semesters, full-time students usually take twenty hours (20) per week of classes in English, reading, writing, grammar, in addition to listening and speaking.
- Very low teacher-to-student ratio with less than 10 students per class.
- Tuition includes course texbooks and tutors:
- Fall/Spring Term A full-time enrollment is $3,950
- Fall/Spring Term A part-time enrollment is $1,990
- Fall/Spring Term B full-time is $1,990
- Fall/Spring Term B part-time $990
- Summer Term A full-time enrollment is $3,250
- Summer Term A part-time enrollment is $1,650
- Summer Term B full-time enrollment is $1,650
- Summer Term B part-time enrollment is $850
Intensive English Program Brochures
The Intensive English Program offers many benefits to international students who are seeking to improve their English language skills. More information on these benefits is available in our program brochure.
What Students Say
"When I came to the U.S. my English was not good. The IEP has really helped me with my reading, writing and grammar. The activities with the Cultural Ambassadors have been fun, and they have helped me with speaking." –Mohammed, Saudi Arabia
The UWF IEP is in Pensacola, Florida. Pensacola is a port city with about 300,000 people located on the Gulf of Mexico. It has 343 days of sunshine a year, beautiful emerald green ocean waters, and 20 miles of white-sand beaches. There are many opportunities for recreational activities in Pensacola as it has an exciting nightlife, theaters, concerts, museums, and amazing outdoor adventures.