Career Development and Community Engagement
To meet the needs of UWF students, alumni, and partners, all services, including scheduled and drop-in appointments, are available both virtually and in person. If you have any questions please contact our office at email@example.com.
Are You New to UWF?
Don't wait to complete the UWF Career Readiness Module!
During the 2021 legislative session, House Bill (HB) 1261 was passed, requiring, all new students entering any of Florida's State Universities to:
- Register with the university's career center.
- Complete a career readiness training module provided by the career center.
- Be directed to the MyFloridaFuture dashboard.
- Affirmatively indicate that he or she has been provided with information regarding the employment and wage prospects for his or her declared major.
Whether you are a freshman or a transfer student, ALL new UWF students, must complete the UWF Career Readiness Module, which was developed to connect you with this information. Failure to do so will result in a hold preventing future registration.
More information concerning the course, including details for self-registration, can be accessed on the Career Readiness Module (for new students) Information Page.
There are two ways students and alumni can meet one-on-one with our career coaches: through scheduled appointments or during drop-in hours.
Scheduled appointments are made in advance to allow career coaches to adequately prepare to meet with students and alumni. These appointments are ideal for in-depth topics that require more than 20 minutes to adequately cover, such as:
- Mock Interviews
- Personal Statement/Letters of Intent for Graduate School
- Salary Negotiation
- Major/Career Exploration
REQUEST AN APPOINTMENT
To request an appointment through Handshake, follow these steps:
- Use your MyUWF credentials to log in to Handshake.
- Select "Career Center" from the top right-hand menu.
- Select "Appointments."
- Click "Schedule a New Appointment."
- Click either "Standard Appointment Types" or "Quick Appointment Types," based on the assistance you are seeking.
- Click the specific appointment type you are seeking.
- Use the calendar to identify an available appointment slot that works with your schedule.
- Once you've identified an appointment slot that works for you, please indicate your preferred meeting method and share any specific details or questions pertaining to your request.
- Select "request."
- Once approved, an appointment confirmation will be emailed from Handshake.
- If you select "Virtual on Handshake" as your meeting method, you will access this appointment through Handshake.
*Although most appointments are scheduled for 30-minutes, in some cases additional time may be needed. Selecting the most relevant topic when scheduling your appointment will assist in keeping the meeting on time.
If you arrive 15 minutes or more past your scheduled appointment time, it will be necessary for you to reschedule. If you are unable to keep your appointment or no longer need to be seen, please call 850.474.2254 within 48 hours to cancel or reschedule your appointment so that we can offer this time to another student. Failure to do so will result in a "No-Show."
Please see the CDCE Terms of Participation to Learn more about this and other expectations surrounding the utilization of our resources and services.
Do you need help navigating LinkedIn or finding an internship or job? Do you have questions about your resume or cover letter or on how to prepare for an interview? You can drop in for help answering those and other career-related questions. No appointment is needed!
Students and alumni typically spend 15-20 minutes with the next available Career Coach to discuss topics including:
- Cover Letters
- Job Search Strategies (Part-time and Full-time Professional Opportunities)
- Informational Interviewing
- Job Shadowing
- Interviewing Tips
CDCE offers virtual and in-person, drop-in hours, Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m on a first-come, first-served basis. To meet in person, just stop by our office. To request a virtual drop-in appointment:
- Log into your UWF Google account.
- Click the Apps menu at the top of the screen.
- Select "Chat" from the menu.
- Send a direct message to firstname.lastname@example.org, requesting a drop-in appointment.
- A career coach will respond with instructions for joining the virtual session.
*CDCE will maintain drop-in-hour services during university time periods in which classes are being offered. For other periods, including but not limited to spring vacation, winter break, Thanksgiving and other holidays, campus closures, and periods between terms, CDCE may temporarily discontinue drop-in services. However, in some situations and as personnel scheduling allows, CDCE may accommodate students and alumni on a case-by-case basis.
Our Commitment to Inclusion, Equity, and Diversity
At CDCE, our priority is to provide resources that equip students to reach their professional goals. We make it our mission to support the career development of ALL UWF students by providing professional expertise, advocating for matters that are important to them, and by celebrating their uniqueness. Through our career readiness programming, we are dedicated to equipping, educating, and empowering every member of the Argo community to reach their full professional potential.
Trying to decide on a major or career? Need help fine-tuning your resume? Not sure where to begin for the job search or how to prepare for an interview? Visit the Career Education website for information and resources that can help you answer those questions and more.Career Education
Community & Employer Engagement
Visit the Community & Employer Engagement website for information on career events, recruiting at UWF, and opportunities to engage with the campus.
High Impact Practices / Experiential Learning
Experience is key! Visit the High Impact Practices/Experiential Learning website to learn how to engage in formative experiences throughout your college career.High Impact Practices/Experiential Learning
Quality Enhancement Plan
Visit the QEP website to learn about Communication for Professional Success, a bold new initiative with the goal of transforming the educational experience for UWF students.
Wed, 31 Aug 2022 18:00:00 +0000Wed, 31 Aug 2022 18:00:00 +0000Part-Time Job Fair
Wed, 21 Sep 2022 17:00:00 +0000Wed, 21 Sep 2022 17:00:00 +0000Virtual Professional & Graduate School Expo
Wed, 26 Oct 2022 17:00:00 +0000Wed, 26 Oct 2022 17:00:00 +0000All Majors Career & Internship Fair- Day #1