Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility FAQs | University of West Florida
Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

If you have a question that is not found here, please ask your assigned academic advisor.

All students need their advising pin released by the academic advisor. Use Navigate to set up an appointment with your assigned advisor. In this meeting you will discuss which classes to take and your academic advisor will release your pin.

Yes, please follow the plan in Degree Works. If you have questions about this plan, ask your assigned academic advisor.

Yes, when you fill out the application on Exxat you include this information.

Yes. If you are unsure if you have completed an application, please double check on Exxat. 

Unfortunately no, we cannot place you this semester. We have to maintain a relationship with the local school districts and teachers. This means giving them plenty of time to find placements and meeting our deadlines. We also want to make sure we find each student a placement that will allow them to learn the most. Additionally, it is important as professionals to be aware of deadlines and meet those deadlines.

On the field experience application, there is a place for current employment. We will take this into consideration, but there is no guarantee that you will be placed where you work. We follow state guidelines when placing students. 

Yes, these are required as part of all teacher certification preparation programs. A practicum experience outside of a traditional classroom is also required for a Community Ed. degree. 

No. School is not in session so we cannot place you in a school. In special circumstances, we may be able to place candidates in their first field experience during summer school. 

That is a personal choice. Most classrooms now use an inclusion model. This means you will be working with ESE students in a general education classroom. In the ESE/Elementary degree, you take extra courses that give you more experience and knowledge in working with exceptional students. With this degree you will be certified to teach ESE in grades K-12. If you are not prepared to work with ESE K-12 students, the Elementary Education degree may be a better choice for you. Students enrolled in Elementary Education are restricted from taking online classes when an in-person class is offered. Students enrolled in ESE/Elementary are able to take all classes online or in person. 

Many candidates who are interested in teaching in secondary schools will major in the content area you are interested in teaching, and minor in Professional Education. If you are interested in teaching math or science then you may want to explore what the UWF Teach program has to offer. 

Yes, these are required for anyone graduating in a teacher certification program in the state if Florida. You are required to pass the General Knowledge exam before being admitted to any undergraduate teacher certification program. Then prior to student teaching, you must pass the professional knowledge test and any applicable subject level tests. You will not be able to graduate from a certification program without passing these tests. These tests are not required for the Community Education degree or the education Minor.

Contact the DOE in the state you are wanting to teach in to find out about requirements for that state.

You will need to contact the FLDOE to determine which specific classes to take. You can then apply as a non-degree seeking student to UWF. You will not have to apply separately to the education department.

Contact an academic advisor for a recommendation, but always check back with FLDOE to receive confirmation that the recommended class will fulfill FLDOE requirements. 

You will need to get fingerprinted and/or submit a background check. We follow the requirements of the school district where you will be completing your field experience. You will not initially be able to register for field experience. The Field Placement Office will assign you to a specific section and notify you when you are able to register.