Staff Senate Charter
Expand our spirit of unity, pride and cooperation by being recognized equally with the Faculty Senate and Student Government Association as participants in advising the University administration.
UWF Staff Senate Charter (.pdf)
- Expand our spirit of unity, pride and cooperation by being recognized equally with the Faculty Senate and Student Government Association as participants in advising the University administration.
- Provide a forum for information exchange and dissemination among staff pertaining to matters of interest and concerns of University staff and to bring matters of interest to the administration.
- Provide open meetings to express, propose, represent, consider, debate, and recommend action on issues which, upon majority approval, bear the authority of a responsible voice in University affairs.
- Provide a mechanism for support and professional growth.
- Involve democratically chosen staff representatives in the operation of the University to increase awareness of interrelating problems and opportunities.
- Establish and maintain bylaws for the University Staff Senate. Address issues and matters of concern and prepare a response/policy/statement for recommendation to appropriate university officials.
- Review UWF rules, policies and procedures to ensure University staff is kept informed and to advise officials when change may be warranted.
- Actively endeavor to improve the quality of the work place and promote an enhanced work environment.
- Advocate and support growth and development for university staff.
- Be informed of issues and recommend processes for improvements. The Senate will consider only those matters not in violation of any collective bargaining agreements.
- Nominate or recommend representative staff members for other University committees, councils, and task forces.
- Establish committees to encourage, plan, and implement activities in the best interest of the University staff.
- Voting members elected are from various university areas so as to ensure balanced representation from across the campus and satellites.
- Specific areas will be listed in the Senate bylaws.
- University President or designee, non-voting, ex-officio member
- Associate Vice President Human Resources, non-voting, ex-officio member
- The Staff Senate Chair has the authority to appoint a committee, as appropriate, to insure balanced representation of the Senate members.
MEMBERSHIP AND MEETING POLICIES
- Officers of the Senate shall consist of a Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary, Treasurer, Supervisor of Elections, Communications Coordinator, and an at-large-member whose duties are specified in the bylaws.
- The Chair shall be elected to a two-year term by the voting membership of the Senate, as specified in the bylaws. This term shall commence at the beginning of a new fiscal year. In the event that the President’s term and/or the Vice President’s term extends for one or two years beyond the elected senator term, the President’s term and/or the Vice President’s term takes precedence over the senate term. The individual elected in a regular election to fill the vacancy shall serve only for the remaining two or one year portion of the usual three-year Senate term.
- The Chair shall vote only in the case of a tie.
- Ex-Officio members of the Senate shall not serve as Senate Chair or as the Chair of any Staff Senate subcommittees.
- Any member who misses more than three consecutive regularly scheduled meetings without cause shall be asked to resign. Vacant positions will be filled as outlined in the bylaws.
- Meetings will be conducted under the most current edition of Robert’s Rules of Order, unless specified otherwise.
MEETING SCHEDULING, AGENDAS, AND MINUTES
- The Senate shall meet on a monthly basis.
- Agendas shall be distributed before each regularly scheduled meeting, and regular meeting minutes shall be kept. The Staff Senate will promptly forward to the Faculty Senate Office an electronic copy of all documents, including all meeting schedules, agendas, minutes, and reports. The Faculty Senate Office Secretary will be responsible for posting these documents to Argus for public viewing.
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
- Elected members: Three-year staggered terms.
- Ex-officio members: Continuous
- Term begins with the next fiscal year, unless otherwise noted.
- The Staff Senate charter will be reviewed annually and recommendations for changes submitted to the appropriate approval authority.
- Florida Administrative Code UWF Personnel Policies and Procedures
RECOMMENDATIONS REPORTED TO
- University President
Dates prepared/Modified by the Officers of the Senate
- November 17, 2005
- March 31, 2011 (via email)
Dates Approved by the Faculty Senate
- December 2, 2005
- April 8, 2011
Approved by the Administration
/s/ Judith A. Bense May 14, 2011
University President Date