Several financial aid opportunities exist for both undergraduate and graduate students in the Department of Anthropology.
The Department awards most fellowships, scholarships, and assistantships after evaluating all students’ records, and their progress toward the degree. No application process is required for most of these opportunities.
The Marcus Fellowship, however, is awarded once a year to a graduate student who is in the process of writing a thesis on an historical archaeology topic, and requires students to submit an application for consideration by the Department.
The following opportunities are currently available to provide financial assistance for students in the Department of Anthropology. Please contact the department with any questions.
- T.T. Wentworth, Jr. Scholarship (awarded every other year)*
- Delchamps Scholarship*
- UWF Bookstore Award for textbooks*
- Merit Scholarship*
- Pace Scholarship*
- Two 3-Year Graduate Assistantships including tuition (for incoming students)*
- Six 1-Academic Year Graduate Assistantships (1 reserved for incoming student)*
- Five 1-Academic Year Research Assistantships (1 reserved for incoming student)*
- Three Graduate Teaching Assistantships, offered by semester*
- Marcus Fellowship in Historical Archaeology (application required, thesis stage only)
*Awarded by Department
Funding for Theses and Conference Travel
Some possibilities for funding for your thesis research and presentation can be found below, organized from most internal to most external funding sources:
- UWF GAA (Varies) -- The UWF Graduate Anthropology Association has funds each year for travel to conferences. See the GAA Facebook page for more info.
- PAS ($400) -- Pensacola Archaeological Society has a Student Award ($400) for travel or research. Deadlines twice a year.
- FAS ($500) -- The Florida Anthropological Society annually awards the Dorothy Moore Student Grant to archaeology students to do research in Florida or travel to a conference. Deadline is March 31.
- Blackwater Pyrates ($1,250) -- Two grants awarded each year to UWF MA students to help fund thesis research, present at a conference, or conduct analyses. Projects must involve research within the Blackwater River/Blackwater Bay marine complex. (PDF: Blackwater Pyrates app). Deadline in February.
Also see the UWF Financial Aid website.