Bachelor of Music Performance
The University of West Florida Department of Music provides students with a high quality, personalized education to prepare students for careers in the fields of music and music education.
The University of West Florida Department of Music provides students with a high quality, personalized education to prepare students for careers in the fields of music and music education. The Department of Music offers a Bachelor of Music in Music Performance, Bachelor of Music Education. Admittance to our programs is by audition only.
- Bachelor of Music (B.M.) in Performance BM catalog description
- Bachelor of Music Education (B.M.E.) BME catalog description
- Music Minor (PDF) catalog description
In addition to the course requirements, the Department of Music requires the following of its majors:
- Every student enrolled in applied lessons must participate in a major ensemble sponsored by the Department (i.e., band or chorus). Exceptions will be made only if students are student teaching in their senior year.
- All majors must participate in the weekly student recital performance classes and perform as recommended by their applied professor. Majors generally perform at least once during the semester. (recital performance request form (pdf).
- All majors must attend a designated number of concerts and/or recitals each semester in residence. The concerts and recitals may include student recitals, symphony concerts, music hall artists series concerts, and any other program of "classical" nature approved by the faculty.
- A minimum grade of "C-" in all major courses.
- All students must pass the UWF Piano Proficiency Examination before the end of their sophomore year. (Piano Proficiency Requirements)
- All students must pass the UWF Music Theory Placement Examination prior to enrolling in Structure and Style or Counterpoint. Course descriptions are listed alphabetically by prefix in the back of this catalog.
Degree Plan Checklists
Levels of AttainmentDepartment of Music Student Handbook Department of Music Course Rotation 2017-2022
UWF music alumna lands coveted residency at Academy of Vocal Arts
UWF alumna Renée Richardson has been admitted to the prestigious Academy of Vocal Arts as a resident artist for 2018-19. Richardson graduated from UWF in 2015 with a Bachelor of Music in voice performance and went on to earn a professional studies degree from the Cleveland Institute of Music.
Contact us for more information:
Tour Our Campus!
Schedule a guided campus tour and visit the University of West Florida today!
At UWF, we realize that each student has individual aspirations. That's why we offer a unique educational experience that paves the way for you to impact the world through an exciting career. Ready to start your journey?