Literature or Creative Writing
The Department of English and World Languages offers an M.A. degree in English with specializations in either literature or creative writing. Our graduate faculty members hold terminal degrees in their fields and have extensive teaching and publishing experience. Please visit the individual faculty pages to view the full range of the faculty's publishing and research interests.
Graduate students at the University of West Florida benefit from small class sizes, affordable tuition, great facilities, an accomplished faculty, and talented peers. Many graduate students have the opportunity to hone their skills as teachers by teaching literature courses and composition and rhetoric courses through the university's writing program.
The Department of English publishes two literary journals on which graduate students serve as editors or managing editors:Troubadour, a journal of creative writing by UWF students; and Panhandler, a national literary journal.
Thank you for your interest in graduate studies in English at the University of West Florida. Please don't hesitate to contact the department if you have any questions not answered here.
- English-ALP (Academic Learning Plan)
- English-CMGR (Curriculum Map)
- UWF Catalog Description
- Course Search
- Graduate Handbook
- Thesis Guidelines
Master's in English Online
Now you can obtain a master's degree in English fully online with UWF. The online degree follows the same admissions requirements as the in-residence program but offers flexibility with degree completion. The online program for the M.A. in English is available for distance learners who live outside of Escambia and Santa Rosa counties in Florida. Exceptions to this policy are rare. However, extenuating circumstances should be addressed to the department chair.
Note this is a synchronous course delivery program, meaning that students are required to attend live lectures via the University's online video conferencing system for courses. Through this format, students benefit from face-to-face interaction with other students and faculty in real time while also enjoying the flexibility of online course delivery. The strengths of the online graduate program and students' success depend on these live interactions. The live sessions are held for the evening core seminars. The approved department electives are made available via recordings.
* This degree is an online degree and may not be available in all states. If you are an out-of-state student, please review our State Authorization Status to confirm that the program is available in your state.
In addition to the University graduate admission requirements described in the Graduate Admissions section of the UWF graduate catalog, the applicant must meet the minimum departmental admission requirements for regular admission.
• Submission of Graduate Application and Processing Fee
• Submission of official transcripts
*International students may have additional requirements.
• Submission of official GRE Verbal score of at least 153 and Analytical Writing score of at least 4.5 or equivalent GRE percentile performance under the new testing platform; OR Official MAT-minimum score 413
• 20 hours upper division undergraduate coursework in English
• Submission of two page statement of purpose
• Submission of three letters of recommendation from instructors
• Submission of a writing sample (2,500 words of literary analysis for literature track or 2,500 words of fiction/non-fiction prose or 10 poems for creative writing specialization)
Graduate School Application Deadline
|April 1||June1||October 1|
*To be considered for departmental awards, including graduate assistantships and scholarships, completed applications with all departmental requirements and test scores must be received by April 1. The final Fall application deadline is June 1.
Jasara Norton selected for 2018 SGA award!
Congratulations to Jasara Norton for receiving a 2018 Distinguished Teaching Award from the Student Government Association!
Contact us for more information:
Tour Our Campus!
Schedule a guided campus tour and visit the University of West Florida today!