Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Finances and Funding | University of West Florida
Skip to main content

Finances and Funding

Activity & Service Fee Funding

Many student organizations receive funding through the Student Government Association (SGA). Important Activity & Service Fee information is available in the SGA Statutes.

NOTE: Obtaining an EIN number does not mean your organization becomes an official 501(c) 3 Non-Profit Organization that is exempt from federal taxes. This is a separate process that has extensive requirements. Please note the organization will still pay taxes on purchases with the off-campus bank account, but will not have to file a tax return.

The EIN number is used to identify an organization for tax purposes with the IRS. This EIN, also referred to as a Tax ID number (TIN) or FEID#, is similar to a social security number for your organization. These instructions lead you to obtain 501(c) 7 status, which is the proper status for a student organization.

  • Complete the EIN application.
  • Unless your organization is registered with the State of Florida as some type of business your organization will need to select "View Additional Types, Including Tax-Exempt and Governmental Organizations" and then the applicable type of organization.
  • Once submitted you will choose to receive the EIN by mail or instantly.  The IRS will send you official documentation of your number in a couple of weeks.  Once you receive the official letter from the IRS with the EIN, bring/email a copy of the letter to the Budget Coordinator (, who will then provide a letter verifying the organization's status as a Recognized Student Organization at UWF, which you will need to establish an account with a bank. The Student Involvement Office is located on the 2nd floor of the University Commons (Building 22, Room 244).

Student organizations should establish and maintain, at minimum, a checking account in the name of the organization in an off-campus bank account—if receiving funds outside the finance process. Prior to opening any bank account, banking regulations require that the organization apply for and maintain a Federal Employer's Identification Number (EIN), similar to a social security number for an individual. See the EIN section for more information. Do not use an individual’s Social Security Number to open the account. You are not permitted to use UWF’s EIN or its name as part of the RSO’s identification.

  • Obtain your EIN (Federal Employers' ID Number).  See the instructions above on how to do this.
  • Choose a bank located near the UWF campus. 
  • Visit the bank establishment.
  • Make sure to have your license, UWF Nautilus Card, EIN verification (printed or a copy from the mail), and proof of status as a Registered Student Organization (this is a letter obtained from the Student Involvement office).
  • In addition, all students/advisors being added to the account will need to be present.
  • Tips:
    • Some banks prefer to see a copy of the meeting minutes identifying who serves in which officer position, just to ensure who is being added to the account.
      • Minutes should also have an exact list of the officers' positions, their names, and the bank authorized for the account.
    • All banks prefer to have a faculty or staff advisor also named on the account, for security purposes.
  • Meet with one of the bank representatives to set up your new student organization account.

Other helpful tips:

  • It helps to know which two officers will be signing on the account.
  • It helps to know who will be responsible for the card so that the appropriate name is listed on it.
  • Make sure to update the two officers signing on the account after EACH election period.

  • Deposits should be made promptly.  Avoid storing fundraiser profits in your car or home.  If you have a weekend or evening fundraiser and need to keep proceeds in a safe place until you can deposit it the next business day. The longer you wait, the more likely it will be lost or stolen.
  • Maintain security over cash or checks collected, so your hard-earned money does not "walk off."
  • Receipts should be issued for any money collected or disbursed by the organization.  There should be a record (receipt) for each transaction, so whoever is designated to review the account does not have to question what is on the bank statement.  A triplicate receipt book with white, pink, and yellow copies is an adequate tool for this objective.

All financial obligations should be paid promptly.  Failure to do so could result in the organization being held to Administrative Review.

For more detailed information, please review the SGA Spending Guidelines 2023-2024. This document provides information regarding the following:

  • List of what A&S funds can purchase
  • List of what A&S funds cannot purchase
  • List of what an annual budget can and cannot pay for when traveling
  • List of what a travel grant can and cannot pay for when traveling
  • Project grant guidelines

These guidelines have been reviewed and approved by the SGA Budget and Allocations Committee and follow the A&S Manual within the SGA statutes.

Fundraising Policy

University registered student organizations may engage in fundraising activities to sell products, publications, or services and to collect donations pursuant to University policy.

University Policy DV-02.03-04/14

1203.06 A&S Fee funds may not be used for fundraising purposes or the direct generation of revenue.

Examples of Prohibited Use:

  • Funds used to purchase doughnuts to be sold for fundraising.
  • Funds to be given to a charitable agency (i.e. Red Cross).

Examples of Permissible Use:

  • Funds used to purchase refreshments for an event open to all students that has fundraising elements.

NOTE: Individuals, off-campus organizations or businesses wishing to solicit or sell items on campus are subject to the Vendor Reservation Policy and Procedures.

Displays and sales in the University Commons are usually conducted at tables in the east or west concourses/hallways, but they may be done at other locations with prior approval from University Commons and Student Involvement and the associate director for UCSI.

Off-Campus Vendors: Student organizations sponsoring an off-campus individual or organization may be assessed a fee per table or space per day. Visit Reservations and Conference Services for more information.

Procedure for Reserving Tables/Space: All tables and other spaces must be reserved in advance with Reservations and Conference Services. Table reservation requests with all pertinent information and appropriate signatures must be submitted at least five business days before the event date.

When a student group or organization plans to solicit gifts or raise funds on behalf of their particular group or organization, they shall avoid duplication and repetitious requests of potential contributors in the community and assure the integrity of the institution by completing the following arrangements:

Event Registration: Events with  fundraising will be reviewed and approved through the Event Registration process via EMS. If there is any fundraising aspect to your meeting or event, please contact for further instruction and approval. Please do not solicit any individuals or businesses until this step has been completed

Gifts of more than $250: Gifts of more than $250 must be reported to the Division of University Advancement within three days of receipt, including the name and contact information of the donor.

Commercial food items: The advanced sale of doughnuts or the sale of commercially packaged candies and similar items is allowed.

Tables in the University Commons concourses/hallways, the Commons patio and other campus locations can be reserved through Reservations and are available on a first-come, first-served basis. The number of tables available at any given location may be restricted as necessary. Fundraising projects must be conducted in a lawful manner and in compliance with University regulations. State law prohibits raffles and lotteries except within very specific parameters involving sales promotion activities, which are strictly regulated. Table spaces generally may be reserved for no more than one week. Unattended materials may be removed at any time.

Raffles and Chance Drawings must adhere to state statutes.

s.849.94 of Florida State Statute: s.849.94 of Florida State Statutes states that any person, firm, corporation or association or agent or employee thereof may (under specific criteria) promote, operate, and/or conduct a game promotion in connection with the sale of consumer products or services. A game promotion is defined by statute as a contest, game of chance or gift enterprise in which the elements of chance and prizes are presented (i.e. drawing a winning number, etc.).