B.S. Medical Lab Sciences
Bachelor's degree program in Medical Laboratory Sciences
The Bachelor’s degree program in Medical Laboratory Sciences prepares students for technical, supervisory and managerial positions in traditional clinical laboratory sciences practice areas such as hematology, clinical chemistry, diagnostic microbiology, immunohematology and serology. Other areas of practice include molecular diagnostics, histocompatibility testing, toxicology, assisted reproductive technology, crime investigation and parentage testing laboratory work based on DNA Technology, laboratory testing related to gene therapy and stem cell therapy and many other emerging areas of clinical laboratory medicine.
Students will apply to admission during the Spring or Fall semester, but may admitted into the summer semester.
Freshman / Sophomore Program
Lower Division Requirements
English/Humanities (15 sh)
- ENC 1101 English Composition I* (3 sh)
- ENC 1102 English Composition II* (3 sh)
- Humanities Elective
- Florida Common Core + UWF General Education Breadth* (6 sh)
Social Sciences/History (15 sh)
- Florida Common Core + UWF General Education Breadth* (9 sh)
Math (6 sh)
- MAC 1105 College Algebra*** (3 sh)
- STA 2023 Statistics*** (3 sh)
Science Prerequisites (26 sh)
- BSC 2010 General Biology I/Lab (4 sh)
- BSC 1085 Anatomy and Physiology I/Lab (4 sh)
- BSC 1086 Anatomy and Physiology II/Lab (4 sh)
- CHM 2045 General Chemistry I/Lab (4 sh)
- CHM 2046 General Chemistry II/Lab (4 sh)
- CHM 2210 Organic Chemistry I/Lab (4 sh)
- CHM 2211 Organic Chemistry II/Lab (4 sh)
* Fulfills Gordon Rule writing requirement.
** From these courses students must choose two which fulfill the Gordon Rule writing requirement.
See your advisor for clarification.
*** Fulfills Gordon Rule math requirement.
Foreign language requirement: Students must have either 2 years of the same foreign language in high school or 2 semesters in college
Junior Year Program
- HSC 3550 Pathophysiology (3 sh)
- BCH 3033 Biochemistry I/Lab (4 sh)
- PCB 3063 Genetics/Lab (4 sh)
- MCB 3020 Microbiology/Lab (4 sh)
- MLS 4505 Clinical Immunology (4 sh)
- MLS 4460 Diagnostic Microbiology I/Lab (4 sh)
- MLS 4305 Hematology I/Lab (4 sh)
- Apply for Clinical Year
Selection of Candidates for Clinical Year
- The Clinical year of the MLS Program has limited access. Enrollment is limited to 40 students per year. Two classes are selected each year, one in the Spring, and one in the Summer.
- Admission into the University as a MLS major does not guarantee selection into the clinical year.
- Students should apply for entry into the clinical year during the Spring semester if they are taking Hematology I and Diagnostic Microbiology I, or the Summer if they are taking Hemostasis and Thrombosis and other MLS courses.
- Eligibility is limited to those students who have completed all of the prerequisite courses with a minimum GPA of 2.5.
- Spring applicant selections are completed by April. Summer applicant selections are completed by September. Student selection is based on evaluation of the application form and references, completion of prerequisite courses, GPA, other merit recognition, and an interview with the selection committee.
- Students not selected may complete a B.S. degree in Biology and apply for clinical year selection the following year
For Preprofessional Students
Many of our graduates use their clinical laboratory training as an advantage when they apply to professional schools. The MLS curriculum includes all of the necessary pre-requisites, with the exception of Calculus and Physics I & II, for medical school, pharmacy school, and physician assistant school. Look at the Alumni Spotlights tab to see where our graduates are at.