Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Student Advising | University of West Florida
Skip to main content

Student Advising

Frequently Asked Questions

When should I meet with my advisor? 

  • You will need to meet with your departmental advisor to set up a degree plan once you reach sophomore level or higher.
  • A degree plan will need to be set up before you can register for your classes.
  • A student may schedule an appointment to see an advisor anytime during the semester if you have questions, but it is recommended that you schedule an appointment at least 1 month prior to registration.

How do I set up an appointment with my advisor?

  • Appointments can be scheduled through the Grades First application in MyUWF, phone 850-474-6034 or by stopping by the office in Building 38. If you are a transfer student attending UWF for the first time you may schedule an appointment through e-mailing or by phone.

What is a "hold" and how do I remove a hold on my account?

  • A hold is placed on your account when you have an unresolved issue. Some holds you may see include: immunization holds, financial responsibility holds, or orientation holds. Each type of hold will need to be remedied differently. When you view your hold there will be a contact number for the department you need to contact. Below is a link to help you identify any holds on your account.
  • How to View Holds

What is an "advising pin"? And why do I need one? 

  • You may notice when you try to register for classes that you are asked for an advising pin. To obtain your advising pin you must schedule an appointment with your academic advisor. Once you have met with your advisor and discussed your class schedule, your pin will be released. You will be issued a new pin each semester.

When will I be classified as a senior?

  • You will be classified as a senior once you complete at least 90 semester hours "and" also complete at least 20 semester hours at the 3/4000 level. This also does not include the semester hours that you are currently enrolled in. Hours need to be fully completed before they can count towards these totals.

Do you take walk-in appointments?

  • DHSA makes every effort to help students, but it is highly recommended that you schedule an appointment through Grades First with your advisor. This will ensure greater success with the advising process. Please review your degree audit prior to your appointment. Your degree audit is the clearest picture of your journey towards graduation. Our advisors will help you decipher the information contained in the degree audit. It is available to all students in under “Degree Audit.”

How can I change my class schedule after the semester has started?

  • Drop/Add period (1st week of semester) - You will be able to drop or add courses through MyUWF during this period. Please consult with your advisor before doing so.
  • After the 1st week of semester - You will be able to withdraw (not drop) from individual courses up until the 11th week of the semester, and withdrawal requests can be processed through your MyUWF account. You will be unable to add any additional courses to your schedule after the 1st week of the semester.

How do I apply for graduation?

If I plan to repeat a course to earn a better grade, what are my options? Also, what is Grade Forgiveness and how do I apply?

How do I view my Degree Audit?

What employment opportunities are available with my degree?

Why should I log into MyUWF?

  • The advisors use your information in MyUWF to get in contact with you. Once the semester has started, be sure to do the following:
    -make sure your mailing address and phone number are current
    -check your UWF email regularly
  • Email is UWF's official mode of contact with students! Your advisor will send emails throughout the semester regarding important deadlines and registration.

What is a transient student?

  • It is designed for degree-seeking UWF students who have permission to enroll in courses at another Florida Public University or College. Transient students may need to complete and submit additional information such as an application or transcripts prior to registration. Contact the institution at which you intend to enroll in courses for institutional policies regarding transient students. UWF students should consult with their advisors prior to enrolling in any courses at other institutions. Courses completed as a transient student are evaluated as transfer courses upon receipt of an official transcript.
  • The Transient Student Form is available online through At the home page select "Apply" and then "Transient Student Admissions Application".
  • UWF students enrolling in courses at another institution through a consortium agreement should contact the UWF Financial Aid Office for additional information. Students are responsible for having official transcripts sent to UWF upon completion of coursework.
  • Students from other institutions enrolling in courses at UWF will be classified as non-degree seeking and are subject to the policies and procedures for non-degree seeking students as stated in the Catalog. Please refer to the Catalog for specific information. Interested students should go to and select the "College Students" link, Section titled "Transferring" (select Take classes at another college [Transient Student Admission Application]). is Florida's official online student advising system.
For additional information, please contact:
Health Sciences at or call (850) 857-6034.