Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Insights Blog: Military Programs and Funding for Teacher Certification | University of West Florida
Skip to main content

Military Programs and Funding for Teacher Certification

November 19, 2019 | TeacherReady

Teacher teaching young student science

A military career builds essential life skills. Service members develop self-discipline, structure and determination. We have found that these experiences create strong leaders in the classroom, where many veterans find a second career in service. Over the years, we have worked with hundreds of veterans and their spouses to take advantage of the military programs and funding for teacher certification.

Troops to Teachers

If you are thinking of transitioning from military life into the classroom, there is no program quite like Troops to Teachers. Founded by the Departments of Defense and Education, the Troops to Teachers program was designed to help service members and veterans become teachers. This program offers counseling, referral services and support in meeting education and licensing requirements. They also help you find a teaching position.

Troops to Teachers encourages service members to work in critical need school districts, teaching subjects like math, science, special education, foreign language and career-technical. Financial assistance may be available to those who meet the requirements.

Funding for Teacher Certification

TeacherReady Service Members Scholarship

TeacherReady and the University of West Florida are proud to offer a scholarship to all active duty and honorably discharged military veterans. This scholarship covers half of the program tuition.  TeacherReady is one of the exemplary military programs and funding for teacher certification.

MyCAA Military Spouse Funding

The MyCAA program is run by the Department of Defense. This funding program offers up to $4,000 to eligible military spouses for career training.

Who qualifies for MyCAA? Spouses of active-duty Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine or National Guard/ARG service members in pay grades E1-E5, O1-O2 and W1-W2.

Spouses of service members on active duty can start and complete their coursework while their military sponsor is on Title 10 military orders, including spouses married to members of the National Guard and reserve component in these same pay grades.

Military Certification Fee Waiver (MCFW)

Members of the United States Armed Forces, veterans and their spouses can get their Florida Department of Education certification and exam fees waived, including:

  • $75 per subject for an initial certification application or initial application for certification in athletic coaching
  • $400 in registration fees for initial attempts on the Florida Teacher Certification Exams
  • $75 for an application to upgrade from a Temporary to a Professional Certificate
  • $75 per subject for addition of a subject or endorsement to a valid certificate

Eligible candidates include:

  • Active duty service members of the U.S. Armed Forces or reserve unit
  • The spouses of active duty service members of the U.S. Armed Forces or reserve unit
  • Honorably discharged or retired veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces or reserve units
  • Spouses of honorably discharged or retired veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces or reserve units
  • The surviving spouses of veterans or service members who died while on active duty as members of the U.S. Armed Forces or reserve units

A Military Certification Fee Waiver is valid for up to five years. 


AmeriCorps offers a variety of service opportunities to earn money for education. Members can mentor and tutor kids, rebuild a community after disaster, help veterans or work with local communities to alleviate poverty.

The Segal AmeriCorps Education Award is a post-service benefit earned by anyone who completes an approved term of national service in one of the AmeriCorps programs. You can use the award to pay for educational expenses at eligible post-secondary institutions, including many technical schools and G.I. Bill-approved programs. You can also use the award to repay qualified student loans. The amount awarded is equal to the current maximum for the Pell Grant.