Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Pregnant and Parenting Resources | University of West Florida
Skip to main content

Pregnant and Parenting Resources

The University is required by the Department of Labor and the Department of Education to provide accommodations to pregnant and parenting students and employees as well as protect them from any harassment or discrimination. Title IX is part of a multi-departmental effort to support the needs of this population.


Similar to other Title IX services, pregnant and parenting students and employees have the right to ongoing accommodations throughout and after a pregnancy to ensure their continued participation in University programs and activities.

Students may request academic accommodations that are reasonable and do not fundamentally alter a course’s layout.

The Dean of Students Office’s staff can support students with short term needs as well as with leaves of absence due to delivery or pregnancy complications. You can contact their office via email at or via phone at 850.474.2384.

  • Individual Absence Verification: Faculty are required by the Office of Civil Rights to allow students to make up any work missed, including class participation points, due to a documented doctor’s appointment. This can be done through additional assignments or opportunities in other class sessions.
  • Leave of Absence: Should a student need to withdraw from their courses and take a leave of absence, Care Services can assist with a medical withdrawal process. More information can be found on their website for Medical Withdrawals.

Student Accessibility Resources (SAR) can provide long term or physical need accommodations. This can include any documented need for altered course participation.

  • Long Term Course Alteration: Should a student encounter a period of time where they are unable to physically attend class (ex: doctor ordered bed rest, ongoing required doctors appointments), SAR can work with the student and professor to find a reasonable accommodation.
  • Facilities Needs: SAR can accommodate requests for facilities needs in the classroom including alternative furniture to make attendance more healthy and comfortable.
    Temporary Parking Passes - A student can request a temporary parking pass for accessible spaces based on documented medical need.

Employees (including student employees) can request accommodations through Human Resources (HR). For more information and to request accommodations, please visit HR's Pregnant Workers Fairness Act (PWFA) website.

Lactation Spaces

UWF maintains two dedicated lactation rooms for faculty, staff, students and visitors:

  • John C. Pace Library on the Main Campus (Building 32), third floor - accessed via the Circulation Desk, first floor.
  • University Commons (Building 22), second floor - accessed via the Service Desk on the first floor in the Great Hall.

If these spaces are too far to conveniently access without major disruption to your schedule, please contact Human Resources (employees) or Title IX (students) for assistance identifying alternative options.


Should a student or employee feel they have been denied appropriate accommodations or they have been discriminated against or harassed due to their pregnancy or parenting status, they have the right to file a grievance with the University.

If you have a question or need to talk to someone about the information listed on this website, please contact the Title IX Coordinator, Jenny Hamilton, at 850.474.2175 or