PURCHASE OF FOOD/FOOD ITEMS
There are only four conditions under which food and food items (including coffee, tea, donuts, and pastries) may be purchased and paid from University funds. The conditions are
- Fee must be collected from the specific workshop, seminar, or conference participants for which the food/food items were purchased;
- The contract or grant terms must specifically spell out that it is permissible to purchase food and food items from the contract or grant in question;
- Must be 100% student-sponsored functions such as dorm parties or club functions in which student activity fees are used to purchase food items; and,
- Authorized UWF Concessions accounts: These funds are allocated for official University programs and require approval of the division/college head and the Vice President for University Relations and Development pursuant to applicable State University System standard practice.
Authorized UWF Concessions accounts: These funds are allocated for official University programs and require approval of the division/college head and the Vice President for University Advancement pursuant to applicable State University System standard practice. Purchase Requisitions for authorized fund purchases must be submitted in advance. The invoice submitted by the vendor must clearly itemize the goods and/or services purchased. Charges for conference room and room set up charges must be itemized separately from food and food items. Tips, gratuities, State of Florida Sales Tax , and alcoholic beverages are not authorized - Exception: Meal gratuities not to exceed 20% are allowed on Concession and Athletic Funds. See University of West Florida Expenditure Guidelines.
Food and food items purchased or ordered by University personnel that are not covered under one of the above four conditions will be considered a personal obligation of the individual making the purchase.
PROCESSING YOUR FOOD REQUEST
A firm quote is required to avoid cutting more than one check or requiring a cash refund when the amount is lower than anticipated. If the vendor requires payment upon delivery, those terms should be stated on the quote. Always let the vendor know that UWF is Tax Exempt when placing the food order for delivery or pickup. You can go to the Procurement Web Page and print out the certificate:
- For amounts less than $1,000, submit a Direct Pay Request to Accounts Payable.
The department must provide a firm quote (to include any discounts, delivery charges, etc.) from vendor; for example, 100 pizza’s @ $5.00 each. The quote can be provided by the vendor in the form of a fax, email or documented phone conversation.
If the vendor requires payment upon delivery, include the following short statement in the Requisition “Item Text” area:
CHECK MUST BE CUT BY ____________ (DATE)
FOR DELIVERY OF FOOD ITEMS
CALL EXT ________ WHEN CHECK IS READY FOR PICKUP
Procurement will forward the pertinent information to Accounts Payable to issue check. Accounts Payable will contact the department when the check is ready for pick up.