Educational Leadership, M.Ed.
The Educational Leadership Certification program, approved by the Florida Department of Education, is designed for students who wish to prepare for administrative and supervisory positions such as principal, assistant principal, district supervisor, in-service director, curriculum developer, or dean in public and private elementary and secondary schools or in other school settings.
The State of Florida approved Educational Leadership Certification program is offered entirely online and designed for students who wish to prepare for administrative and supervisory positions such as principal, assistant principal, district supervisor, in-service director, curriculum developer, or dean in public and private elementary and secondary schools. The Florida Department of Education requires that all students graduating with this degree in Educational Leadership must pass the Florida Educational Leadership Examination (FELE) as a condition of completing their degree and receiving certification for school administration.
The program covers the Florida Principal Leadership Standards and associated competencies, and seeks to prepare students for the Florida Educational Leadership Exam (FELE). Students must successfully complete the FELE as a condition of earning their degree and receiving certification for school administration.
A special Academic Partnerships discount price is available for students employed by partner school districts. Please call our enrollment specialists at (877) 588-2502 for more information.
Online degrees may not be available in all states. If you are an out-of-state student, please review our State Authorization Status to confirm that the program is available in your state.
In addition to the University graduate admission requirements, the department bases decisions for regular admission on a holistic review of credentials in which the criteria listed below are used to assess the potential success of each applicant.
• Submission of Graduate Application and Processing Fee
• Submission of official transcripts
*International students may have additional requirements.
• Hold a valid professional teaching certification
• Have a minimum of three years of teaching experience
• Have earned a GPA of at least 3.0 on bachelor's degree*
• Submit a current (within five years) official Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores OR Miller Analogies Test (MAT) score**
• Submit a letter of intent that includes the following information: your background, short- and long-term goals, contributions you would like to make to your field of study, and strengths you bring to the program
• Submission of a letter of intent describing the candidate's work experience and reasons for pursuing the degree program, including how the degree relates to career goals.
• Submit contact information (email addresses and phone numbers) for two professional references
*Applicants with an undergraduate GPA of less than 3.0 must submit a GRE verbal or MAT score that falls at or above the 50th percentile.
**Review your eligibility for an admission test score waiver.
To be fully admitted to the program, the following requirements must be met in addition to the requirements for provisional admission (above). Full admission is required by the fifth week of the first semester. Students will be unable to register for a second semester of coursework until full admission has been granted.
• Purchase and activation of a subscription to the School of Education's assessment system, Tk20, within the first week of the first semester
• Completion of the Professional Education Applicant Disposition Scale by each person identified as a professional reference
• Completion of the Professional Education Applicant Disposition Self-rating Scale within Tk20
Please follow the link to see the application deadlines for the Educational Leadership, M.Ed. program.
Download the Educational Leadership, M.Ed. Academic Learning Plan:
"Eligibility for initial educator certification in Washington is based on completion of a state approved educator preparation program. This program is approved in Florida. Even though you may be residing in Washington while in this program, your application for educator certification in Washington will be processed as an out-of-state application. Go to http://pathway.pesb.wa.gov/outofstate for more information. Teachers are advised to contact their individual school districts as to whether this program may qualify for teacher advancement" (Washington Student Achievement Council Degree Authorization, February 26, 2013).
Request a guided campus visit and meet with a graduate advisor.
Submit the online inquiry form for more information on this program.
UWF Graduate School
Visit the UWF Graduate School for additional questions or information regarding graduate study resources or requirements at UWF.Graduate School