Masters in Political Science
UWF's Department of Government offers the Master of Arts in Political Science with specializations in Political Science, Public Administration and Security and Diplomacy.
The Department of Government offers the Master of Arts in Political Science with three areas of concentration- Political Science, Public Administration, and Security and Diplomacy. The 33-semester hour Political Science program is designed for students interested in international relations, comparative politics, and public policy. Open to all students, the program is affiliated with a consortium formed by the U.S. Navy and several civilian graduate schools. Students may transfer up to 15 credits from one member of the consortium to another. The program at The University of West Florida consists of 33 sh. There is a thesis and a non-thesis option. Either option requires completion of a 21 sh core, with a grade of B or better in every core course.
The non-thesis option is capped with a comprehensive examination, both written and oral. The purpose of the examination is to help the student synthesize knowledge from different courses into a coherent whole. The thesis option requires a minimum of 6 sh devoted to a thesis. The thesis defense includes a discussion of how the study fits in the field of Political Science. In effect, the thesis defense substitutes for the comprehensive examination.
Whatever the option chosen by the student, with the approval of the advisor, up to 9 sh of electives may be taken outside political science. Also with the approval of the advisor, students may enroll in an undergraduate course for graduate credit to learn the fundamentals of a field study and in a directed readings course to explore in greater depth an area of interest in Political Science. These options, however, are limited by university rules.
- Course Catalog
- Course Search
- Academic Learning Plan (PDF)
- Curriculum Map (PDF)
- Graduate Program Advising Notes 2016.2017
- Masters Thesis
- Coursework Completion Form, MA
- Standards for MA Comprehensive Exam
- STANDARDS FOR M.A. THESIS Department of Government
- Department of Government M.A. Comprehensive Exam Registration Form
- Masters of Political Science Degree Planning Sheet 2016.2017
- Masters of Political Science Security and Diplomacy Degree Planning 2016.2017
Online Program Resources
Master's in Political Science Online
Now you can obtain a master's degree in political science fully online with UWF. The online degree follows the same admissions requirements as the in-residence program but offers flexibility with degree completion. The online program for the M.A. in Political Science is available for distance learners who live outside of Escambia and Santa Rosa counties in Florida. Exceptions to this policy are rare. However, extenuating circumstances should be addressed to the department chair.
Note this is a synchronous course delivery program, meaning that students are required to attend live lectures via the University's online video conferencing system for courses. Through this format, students benefit from face-to-face interaction with other students and faculty in real time while also enjoying the flexibility of online course delivery. The strengths of the online graduate program and students' success depend on these live interactions. The live sessions are held for the evening core seminars. The approved department electives are made available via recordings.
* This degree is an online degree and may not be available in all states. If you are an out-of-state student, please review our State Authorization Status to confirm that the program is available in your state.
In addition to the University graduate admission requirements described in the Graduate Admissions section of the catalog, the department bases decisions for regular admission on a holistic review of credentials in which the criteria listed below are used to assess the potential success of each applicant.
• Submission of Graduate Application and Processing Fee
• Submission of official transcripts
*International students may have additional requirements.
• Submission of official GRE verbal and quantitative score or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) with a minimum score in each that ranks in the 50 percentile or better*
• Undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above
• Submission of a sample research paper
* Review your eligibility for an admission test score waiver.
Graduate School Application Deadlines
Certain graduate programs have earlier application deadlines. Check with the Department of Government for departmental specific deadlines.
Contact us for more information on the Master of Arts in Political Science.
Tour Our Campus!
Schedule a guided campus tour and visit the University of West Florida today!