Bachelor of Science Degree in Biomedical Sciences
The Biomedical Sciences degree is designed to prepare students who have the goal of admission to post-graduate health professional schools.
The Biomedical Sciences degree is designed to prepare students who have the goal of admission to post-graduate health professional schools. The degree is designed to fulfill the prerequisites required for students pursuing advanced degrees in medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, physician assistant, biomedical sciences, etc. Students should work with their advisor to create a 4 year plan that includes extracurricular activities and entrance examination preparation to strengthen their application portfolio.
The Department of Biology is dedicated to providing every opportunity for our students to realize their goal for admission to professional school in the medical sciences.
- We have fostered creation of five student organizations focusing on specific areas within the health professions (pre-vet, pre-med [AED and AMSA], pre-dental and pre-pharmacy.)
- UWF is a legacy school with 10 slots at the Alabama College of Medicine. Pre-med students should discuss the requirements for admission with preprofessional advisors.
- Our faculty are committed to providing opportunities for students to engage in scientific research-many of whom present papers at professional meetings and are included in authorship on scientific publications.
- We have resources available to assist post-baccalaureate students, which provides all of the above opportunities and more to assist students earning a baccalaureate degree outside of the sciences to complete the coursework for application to a health professional school. If you are interested, please e-mail an advisor.
- We have created a mentoring partnership between you and the FSU College of Medicine (FSUCOM) medical students. This program has been named the Argo-Noles Medical Mentors Program and has emerged from discussions with the medical students at FSUCOM-Pensacola in which they suggested creating a mentoring program for UWF's pre-professional students.
Available data show that students majoring in the biological sciences make up close to half of all students admitted to medical schools:
|Academic Major||% of total admissions to U.S. Medical Schools|
|Specialized Health Sciences||3%|
*All preprofessional students should consult with a pre-health professional advisor after their Sophomore year.
Not sure where to start? Want to discuss classes, course load, or details of the program? Make an appointment with an advisor today!
Tour Our Campus!
Schedule a guided campus tour and visit the University of West Florida today!
Apply online to the University of West Florida and get started on the path to your future.