Points to Remember About
|A Thesis Should
||A Thesis Should Not
|*be stated or implied in the
|*be a fragment; it must be
|*inform the reader of the
writer's opinion about the
|*be a question.
||*contain phrases such as "I think."
||*be a blanket statement.
||*be too narrow.
||*contain elements that are
not clearly related.
||*be expressed in vague
||*contain obscure or
|Our vacation was a tremendous
||Our vacation enabled us to learn the true meaning of
A good thesis is restricted.
|Crime must be stopped.
||Our courts should hand out tougher sentences.
A good thesis is unified
|Mysteries are not a high form of literature, but
people have always been fascinated by them, and many fine writers
have experimented with them.
||Mysteries appeal to the basic human
desire for thrills.
A thesis is not a title.
Not a Thesis
A Shattering Experience
My first visit to the zoo was a shattering
A thesis is not an announcement of the subject.
Not a Thesis
This paper will attempt to tell you
the emotions I felt on viewing the Grand Canyon.
The Grand Canyon was even more magnificent
A thesis is not an absolute fact.
Not a Thesis
The planet closest to the sun is Mercury.
Words and Expressions
to Avoid in Your Essays
Compiled by Mamie Webb Hixon
UWF Writing Lab Director
- a lot
- aggravate (as a synonym for "irritate" or
- along the lines of
- always there for me
- and (to begin a sentence)
- angle, slant (for "point of view")
- anyways, anywheres
- around (for about as in "around a year")
- being as (how), being that, seeing as (how)
- broke (for "having no money")
- cannot help but
- character (as a synonym for "person")
- due to the fact that
- each and every
- enthused (use "enthusiastic")
- etc., and so on
- fixing to
- graduated UWF (for "graduated from UWF")
- guys, you guys
- in my opinion, personally, I think
- irregardless (nonstandard for "regardless")
- its' (not a word)
- kid (as a synonym for "child")
- kind of, sort of (preceding an adjective)
- let's us
- like for
- ok, o.k., okay
- on account of
- over with
- quote (as a synonym for "quotation")
- real (as an intensifier - "real good")
- reckon, calculate, figure, guess (meaning "think,"
"expect," "suppose," or "believe")
- revolve(s) around
- the reason. . .is because
- there's, there are
- thing, things, stuff
- this (by itself)
- which (to refer to an idea or a sentence)
- wise (attached to a word as in "locationwise" or "moneywise")
- you, your, yours, you're
THE WRITING LABORATORY (51/157)
UNIVERSITY OF WEST FLORIDA
(850) 474-2029 (Paper Reading)
(850) 474-2129 (Grammar Hotline)
(850) 474-2229 (Lab Assistants)
Fax: (850) 857-6305
MAMIE WEBB HIXON, DIRECTOR
The Write Advice is a publication of the University
of West Florida's Writing Laboratory.
Publisher and Editor:
|| Mamie Webb Hixon
Marsh, Heather Stadelhofer, Melissa Hatfield, Helen Richards, and Brian Hansen
|| Chris Bui