Bachelor of Music Performance
The University of West Florida Department of Music provides students with a high quality, personalized education to prepare students for careers in the fields of music and music education.
The University of West Florida Department of Music provides students with a high quality, personalized education to prepare students for careers in the fields of music and music education. The Department of Music offers a Bachelor of Music in Music Performance, Bachelor of Music Education. Admittance to our programs is by audition only.
- Bachelor of Music (B.M.) in Performance BM catalog description
- Bachelor of Music Education (B.M.E.) BME catalog description
- Music Minor (PDF) catalog description
In addition to the course requirements, the Department of Music requires the following of its majors:
- Every student enrolled in applied lessons must participate in a major ensemble sponsored by the Department (i.e., band or chorus). Exceptions will be made only if students are student teaching in their senior year.
- All majors must participate in the weekly student recital performance classes and perform as recommended by their applied professor. Majors generally perform at least once during the semester. (recital performance request form (pdf).
- All majors must attend a designated number of concerts and/or recitals each semester in residence. The concerts and recitals may include student recitals, symphony concerts, music hall artists series concerts, and any other program of "classical" nature approved by the faculty.
- A minimum grade of "C-" in all major courses.
- All students must pass the UWF Piano Proficiency Examination before the end of their sophomore year. (Piano Proficiency Requirements)
- All students must pass the UWF Music Theory Placement Examination prior to enrolling in Structure and Style or Counterpoint. Course descriptions are listed alphabetically by prefix in the back of this catalog.
Degree Plan Checklists
Levels of AttainmentDepartment of Music Student Handbook Department of Music Course Rotation 2017-2022
Congrats to UWF Music Student Meredith Stemen for receiving an Honorable Mention (3rd Place) in the Florida State Music Teacher's Association Gray Perry Young Collegiate Piano Competition May 13 & 14, 2016. Meredith just finished her first year at UWF.
Part of the Florida State Music Teacher's Association State Competition, the Young Collegiate Piano Award was established in 1994 to encourage college pianists in their first and second years of college study. Meredith competed with students from across the state.
The judges praised her for the exciting and dramatic interpretation of MacDowell’s First Sonata and Chopin’s 3rd Scherzo.
Here is a comment from one of the judges: “this is a dramatic performance of a storm and stress piece which certainly deserves more hearings. Bravo!”
Meredith is in the studio of Dr. Hedi Salanki.
Contact us for more information:
Tour Our Campus!
Schedule a guided campus tour and visit the University of West Florida today!
At UWF, we realize that each student has individual aspirations. That's why we offer a unique educational experience that paves the way for you to impact the world through an exciting career. Ready to start your journey?