Proposed Archaeological Investigation of Target 17
- Complete excavation of the midline trench - this work will provide key dimensions regarding size and orientation of the vessel.
- Continue to place small excavation units in key areas - this work will aid in the determination of bow and stern locations. It may also help determine the extent of the "spill area" or site extents
- Employ sub-bottom sonar - this work may also aid in the determination of the site extents.
- Continued test excavation based on information gleaned in 2007
- Continued remote sensing to determine if other shipwrecks are located in immediate area.
Fall 2008 through summer 2009
- Controlled excavation of site or sites.
- Historical investigation has begun and will continue throughout duration of project.
- Artifact conservation and database entry has begun and will continue throughout duration of project.
Contribution to Education and History
- Public Involvement/Education
- Public lectures
- Public book
- Integral component of Pensacola's 450th Anniversary Celebrations
- Professional Report for Archaeologists and Scholars