Regulations vs. Policies
This website contains official University Regulation and Policy documents that have been adopted in accordance with the Florida Board of Governor’s Regulation Development Procedure and UWF’s Policy Development and Issuance Process (P-01.03-12/17). The process for adopting and revising University Regulations and Policies is coordinated through the Office of the General Counsel.
REGULATIONS and POLICIES
Regulations versus Policies
Florida Board of Governors’ Regulations are adopted by the Florida Board of Governors and are state university system-wide “laws” and have precedence over UWF Regulations and Policies. Regulations must be consistent with federal and state law.
University Regulations are adopted by the Board of Trustees and are university-wide “laws.” Regulations must be consistent with federal and state law and BOG Regulation.
Policies are adopted by the President or Vice Presidents under the specific executive authorities granted to the President by the UWF Board of Trustees. Policies generally involve more detailed matters of procedure and matters not specifically addressed in state law or BOG or UWF Regulation. UWF Policies may not conflict with State and Federal law, BOG Regulation or UWF Regulation.
Regulation and Policy Database
The Office of the General Counsel maintains a searchable Regulation and Policy Database. The President’s policy on Policy Development and Issuance Process provides specific guidelines for drafting, revising, and publishing University and departmental policies. Federal, state and city regulations or laws with which the University of West Florida must comply are not listed on this website, but it may contain internal campus policies which implements such laws.
- Apply “university-wide” and pertain to more than one division of the University;
- Enhance the mission of the University;
- Require the President’s review and approval for University Policy adoption and revisions;
- Contain procedural guidelines to inform, constrain, and govern the University;
- Help ensure compliance with applicable state and federal laws and regulations;
- Capture management decisions and provide a record of University operations;
- Promote operational effectiveness and efficiency and reduce institutional risks; and
- Control in the event of conflict with college, school, department, division, or unit level procedures
**If a policy fits the criteria above, it is a University Policy. If it does not, it is department level policy/procedure.
**Only the policy documents housed in the University Policy Database carry the full force of the University.
Questions regarding specific University Policies should be directed to the office responsible for administering that policy.
*NOTE: University Regulation and Policy documents are not contracts. The University of West Florida Board of Trustees and President maintain exclusive discretion to exercise the customary functions of institutional management to revise University Regulation or Policies as they deem appropriate. This Official Regulation and Policy Database was designated by the administration as the official University regulation and policy source.