Reading Education, M.Ed.
The Reading Education Master's Degree is an innovative, educational program that links literacy research to practical classroom practices. This 36-semester hour program is offered online, nationwide as an advanced degree program for credentialed teachers. The curriculum for the program is based on the International Reading Association standards which also encompass the Florida Department of Education Reading Endorsement and certification requirements.
The M.Ed. in Reading is an innovative, educational program steeped in scientifically-based reading research using the "Lesson Study" approach tying research immediately to practical classroom applications. This entirely online program is designed to enhance the professional skills and knowledge of current educators as well as transitions into specialized areas of reading leadership within the schools and district-level positions; thus, applicants must hold a current teaching certificate. The curriculum for the program is based on the International Reading Association standards which also encompass the FLDOE Reading Endorsement and certification requirements. Upon program completion, candidates are encouraged to add the Reading Endorsement/Certification to their teaching certificate. The program holds FLDOE approval for K-12 Reading Endorsement and Reading Certification.
Note: This program prepares students for potential licensure in Florida. Prospective out-of-state students who will be pursuing a license in their state should check with that state's licensing agency before enrolling. Prospective students from Alabama should review the Special requirements for Certification in Alabama prior to enrolling.
Online degrees may not be available in all states. If you are an out-of-state student, please review our State Authorization Status to confirm that the program is available in your state.
The M.Ed. in Reading Education is designed to prepare educators as reading teachers, reading coaches, district-level literacy specialists, and publishing industry consultants. New cohorts are admitted in the summer and fall of each year. This advanced program requires several field experiences which may be arranged through the Department of Teacher Education and Educational Leadership Office of Field Placement. Upon program completion, candidates are encouraged to add the Reading Endorsement/Certification to their teaching certificate. The program is approved for both the K-12 Reading Endorsement and Reading Certification by the Florida Department of Education.
Provisional Admissions Requirements
Due to state of Florida requirements for Reading Certification (K-12), applicants to the Reading Education, M.Ed., must meet additional specific requirements beyond the standard coursework:
- ESOL/ELL Requirement
- Candidates in the Reading Education Master’s Degree program will be required to demonstrate proficiency on the ESOL requirement prior to admission.
- Additional Elements of the Florida Uniform Core Curriculum
- Each candidate must demonstrate proficiency of the Additional Elements of the Uniform Core Curriculum (UCC) before being admitted to the Reading Education Master’s degree program. Applicants must submit a supplemental application to assess ESOL and UCC requirements.
- Contact the Department of Teacher Education and Educational Leadership Graduate Advising Office for details related to the UCC requirements.
"Eligibility for initial educator certification in Washington is based on completion of a state approved educator preparation program. This program is approved in Florida. Even though you may be residing in Washington while in this program, your application for educator certification in Washington will be processed as an out-of-state application. Go to http://pathway.pesb.wa.gov/outofstate for more information. Teachers are advised to contact their individual school districts as to whether this program may qualify for teacher advancement" (Washington Student Achievement Council Degree Authorization, February 26, 2013).
In addition to the University graduate admission requirements, the applicant must meet the following minimum departmental admission requirements for provisional admission:
• Submission of Graduate Application and Processing Fee
• Submission of official transcripts
*International students may have additional requirements.
Step-By-Step Application Procedures
• Hold or be seeking current professional teaching certification*
• Have earned a GPA of at least 3.0 on bachelor's degree**
• Submit a current (within five years) official Graduate Record Exam (GRE) verbal score OR Miller Analogies Test (MAT) score***
• Submit a letter of intent that includes the following information: your background, short- and long-term goals, contributions you would like to make to your field of study, and strengths you bring to the program
• Submit contact information (email addresses and phone numbers) for two professional references
• Demonstrate proficiency in ESOL via completion of an ESOL survey course or district in-service points
• Demonstrate proficiency of the Additional Elements of the Florida Uniform Core Curriculum (UCC)
To be fully admitted to the program, the following requirements must be met in addition to the requirements for provisional admission (above). Full admission is required by the fifth week of the first semester. Students will be unable to register for a second semester of coursework until full admission has been granted.
• Purchase and activation of a subscription to the Department of Teacher Education and Educational Leadership's assessment system, Tk20, within the first week of the first semester
• Completion of the Professional Education Applicant Disposition Scale by each person identified as a professional reference
• Completion of the Professional Education Applicant Disposition Self-rating Scale within Tk20
* Teacher certification is not required for applicants to the specialization in Applied Behavior Analysis.
** Applicants with an undergraduate GPA of less than 3.0 must submit a GRE verbal or MAT score that falls at or above the 50th percentile.
*** Review your eligibility for an admission test score waiver.
Download the Reading Education, M.Ed. Academic Learning Plan: Reading-MEd-ALP (PDF)
Request a guided campus visit and meet with a graduate advisor.Campus Tour
Submit the online inquiry form for more information on this program.Request Info
UWF Graduate School
Visit the UWF Graduate School for additional questions or information regarding graduate study resources or requirements at UWF.Graduate School