MBA Frequently Asked Questions
Are there prerequisites for the MBA program?
We will review your transcripts for academic experience in the following subjects, with a grade of B or better within the last 10 years:
- Managerial Accounting
- Financial Accounting
- eBusiness/Information Systems
Students may be admitted without completion of prerequisites but will need to finish any outstanding foundational proficiencies prior to starting the MBA core program. We have different options to complete the foundational proficiencies. Our advisors will discuss your options with you.
What is the application process and timeline?
- Submit your application and supporting documents.
- The UWF Graduate School performs an evaluation and then sends your file to the MBA Office.
- The MBA Office does an evaluation and communicates an admissions decision to the Graduate School.
- The Graduate School communicates with you to let you know the decision. You will receive a hard copy notification to your address on record.
- You will need to confirm your intent to enroll. The instructions on how to do so are in your admission letter.
- If you have not already met with an advisor, an advisor will contact you for an appointment.
Please also see:
How are students evaluated for admission?
We conduct an holistic review of the student's application to include undergraduate GPA, graduate admission scores (if applicable), letters of recommendation, resume, and answers to the application essay questions.
What is Express Admission?
Express admission is offered to certain students who are earning an undergraduate degree from UWF. As an express admit, you do not have to complete the online application or pay the application fee. You will still have to submit essay questions, letters of recommendations and a resume. You will submit your express admission application and supplemental documents to your advisor, who will forward it to the UWF Graduate School for processing.
There are 2 types of express admission:
- If you were offered express admission from your undergraduate department, you will work with your department head for admission. You must start your MBA program within the first 2 semesters after graduating. Otherwise, your express admission will be revoked and you will have to apply.
- If you were offered express admission from the graduate school that includes a 6 credit hour scholarship, you will need to work with the graduate school for admission. There are time constraints with this type of express admission as well. Contact the grad school for more info.
What are the minimum test score requirements?
We require a 450 on the GMAT or a its equivalent on the GRE, 149 verbal/149 quantitative. The MBA Program does not have a preference between GMAT and GRE. We do offer waivers for the graduate admission test requirement. Review your eligibility for an admisison test waiver. All applicants are automatically reviewed to determine if they qualify for a test waiver.
What happens during an advising appointment?
- We will discuss the program including a comprehensive overview of the MBA at UWF.
- We will review your status in terms of prerequisite classes and discuss options for completion, if applicable.
- We will answer any questions you may have about the program.
- We will outline your next steps in the process if you have not already applied.
How will I know what to take each semester?
- Our program is designed for students who generally take 6 credit hours (2 classes) each semester. Your advisor will tell you each semester via email exactly which courses you should take.
- Our program is cohort based, so we offer a selection of courses each semester. Thus, we do not offer every course in our program every semester.
- Please keep in mind that deviation from your degree plan can significantly defer your graduation. Any deviation from the degree plan should be discussed with your advisor prior to registration.
- Once you have been admitted, your advisor will create a degree plan which shows your path through the MBA program, which includes the courses you will take and the semesters in which you will take them.
To access your degree plan:
- Log in to MyUWF.
- Search and select “degree audit”.
- Click the "Plans" tab (top middle).
- Click the plan you want to review from the list (it will change from grey to blue).
- Select the “View” you want to see (at the top right drop down box). I think that "academic year" might be most helpful.
Can I take more courses each semester to finish earlier?
It may be possible to take an additional course in a semester. Communicate with your advisor to understand your options and implications of doing so.
What should I do if I need to remove myself from a course?
If you find that you must remove yourself from a course, timing is everything! Up through the end of the add/drop period, which is the first week of the term, you can drop your course without academic penalty. If you must leave a course after the first week, you must withdraw. When you withdraw from a course, you will receive a grade of W, which does not carry a consequence for your GPA. A W may impact your financial aid eligibility.
If you are registered for only one course and you decide to leave that course, whether it is during the add/drop period or after, you must complete the Last Class Withdrawal Form to leave the course. However, if you are registered for more than one course and intend to remain in your other course(s), you can drop or withdraw on your own. You should always contact your advisor before making any schedule changes, whether it be adding, dropping, or withdrawing.
Is there a difference between the OL and F2F MBA? Are they the same degree?
The curricula for both the online and face-to-face MBA are the same regardless of modality. Your transcript does not indicate whether you completed your MBA in the face-to-face or online modality.
Can I switch between the OL and F2F MBA?
It is possible to switch once between online and face-to-face. While the curricula are the same, the course rotations between the online and face-to-face MBA are different. If you are considering a change, contact your advisor to discuss this option.
Is there a hybrid MBA that allows me to combine online and face-to-face courses?
If you are in the online program, ALL coursework is done online. For face-to-face students, all MBA core courses are face-to-face and meet evenings; emphasis courses, and GEB 5878 and GEB 5930 are exclusively online. There may be occasions in which we must offer a core course online.
How are exams and tests given in the online MBA?
Professors may administer exams in the following ways:
- Proctor U (there is a fee associated with Proctor U, which is not included in your tuition and fees). Typically you can expect to pay $20-$30 per exam.
- Respondus Lockdown Browser/Monitor (there is no charge for Respondus)
- Testing in person at a testing facility (there may be fees)
Your professor will indicate testing information on the syllabus.
I need to take a reduced load or sit out a semester. How does this impact my degree completion?
We understand life happens and our students have a variety of needs. It is possible to take either a reduced load or sit out a semester! However, because we do not offer each course every semester, your advisor will update your plan to redistribute your courses. Please keep in mind that a change like this will likely your time to degree completion.
How long will it take me to complete my MBA?
We are cohort-based, and our students generally take 6 credit hours per semester. Your time to completion is based on our course projection and degree plan. However, if you follow your degree plan, you can complete your MBA in as few as 5-6 semesters.
What must I do to remain in good academic standing?
To be in good academic standing, you must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher at the end of each semester. If your GPA is below 3.0, you will be placed on academic probation for the next semester in which you enroll. If you do not bring up your GPA to at least 3.0 at the end of the next semester, you will be a candidate for academic suspension. Suspended students must sit out at least one semester before being reinstated to the program. Both your MBA GPA and graduate GPA must be 3.0 or higher to graduate.
Is there grade forgiveness in the MBA program?
There is no grade forgiveness at the graduate level. A passing grade is a grade of C or higher. If you earn a C- or below in a course, you must retake the course. The original grade and the retake grade are both calculated in your GPA.
How can I pay for my education?
- The UWF Financial Aid Office manages aspects of financing your education. Please refer to the Financial Aid Office for options on financing. Also, the Cashier’s Office offers a payment plan.
- For face-to-face students only, we offer limited departmental scholarships and graduate assistantships. At this time, online MBA students are not eligible for departmental scholarships or graduate assistantships.
- Effective for students admitted Fall 2020 forward: Florida State Employee Tuition Waivers cannot be applied toward the Online MBA Program courses as it is self-funded solely by student tuition and fees.
Can I transfer credits from another university?
Transfer credit is not a guarantee. However, graduate credits may be considered for transfer if the following criteria is met:
- The credits were earned from an institution that is AACSB accredited.
- A grade of “B” or higher was earned in the graduate work.
- The credits were completed within six years from the date the UWF graduate degree is awarded.
Students may have a maximum of six semester hours or two courses (whichever is greater in credit) of graduate work at other universities accepted toward their program requirements at UWF. The department chairperson’s permission is required for the credits to be accepted.
Contact your MBA advisor for more information.
How many hours can I expect to spend on coursework per week?
For a full time (6 credits) load, you can expect to spend an average of 12-15 hours per week (outside of class for on-campus students) on course assignments. Some classes may require more time, and some may require less.