Getting a Passport and Visa

Study abroad students need a passport. Some programs also require a visa. Your study abroad advisor will provide details on the requirements for your program.

Image of Passport book

Timing is Key

It is important to apply for your passport and visa in a timely manner. UWF International Programs provides passport and student visa guidance. These processes take several weeks and necessitate planning ahead. 



If you have a passport, it is important to check the expiration date. Many countries require that your passport be valid for 6 months beyond the date of your return to the U.S. To apply or renew your passport, visit You can fill out the passport application form online, print and then follow the easy instructions to submit the application. This site also has useful information on processing times and costs.


If a visa is required for your program, you will apply for the visa at the embassy or consulate of your host country. Applying for a visa can be a time-sensitive process. Be sure that you allow plenty of time for your application to be processed.

Still have questions? Contact International Programs at (850) 474-2479 or email