Educational Leadership, M.Ed.
The State of Florida approved Educational Leadership Certification specialization is offered entirely online and designed for students who wish to prepare for administrative and supervisory positions such as principal, assistant principal, district supervisor, in-service director, curriculum developer, or dean in public and private elementary and secondary schools. The Florida Department of Education requires that all students graduating with this degree in Educational Leadership must pass the Florida Educational Leadership Examination (FELE) as a condition of completing their degree and receiving certification for school administration.
Educational Leadership Certification
The Educational Leadership Certification specialization, approved by the Florida Council on Educational Management, covers the ten Florida Principal Leadership Standards and associated competencies and seeks to prepare students for the Florida Educational Leadership Exam (FELE).
In addition to the University graduate admission requirements described in the Graduate Admissions section of the catalog, the department bases decisions for regular admission on a holistic review of credentials in which the criteria listed below are used to assess the potential success of each applicant.
• Submission of Graduate Application and Processing Fee
• Submission of official transcripts
*International students may have additional requirements.
• Submission of one of the following graduate admission official test scores: GRE or MAT*
• Have a valid professional teaching certification**
• Have a minimum of three years of teaching experience
• Have earned a GPA of at least 3.0 on bachelor's degree***
• Submission of a letter of intent describing the candidate's work experience and reasons for pursuing the degree program, including how the degree relates to career goals.
• Submit contact information (email addresses and phone numbers) for two professional references
* Review your eligibility for an admission test score waiver.
** Students in the Educational Leadership Certification Specialization who do not hold current professional teacher certification must meet the following additional requirements: ESOL/ELL Requirement. Options for satisfying this requirement include: Sixty hours of ESOL district inservice points; or Three credit hours in a survey course, which can be satisfied by completing TSL 5085 and Florida Reading Competency 2.
***Applicants with an undergraduate GPA of less than 3.0 must submit a GRE verbal or MAT score that falls at or above the 50th percentile.
Certain graduate programs have earlier application deadlines. Check with the graduate department for departmental specific deadlines.