Florida SBDC at UWF
Our mission: Providing businesses the expertise and resources to succeed. The Florida Small Business Development Center at the University of West Florida - College of Business (Florida SBDC at UWF) delivers, through certified professionals, consulting, training and information to help businesses succeed and create a positive impact for the Florida economy, while providing value for our stakeholders.
- Who - The Florida SBDC at UWF is part of a statewide service network of more than 40 centers that offer consulting and educational services to small business owners. We are based in the University of West Florida's College of Business.
- What - Motivated entrepreneurs and emerging business owners have access to our team of experienced and credentialed business consultants and specialists to help accelerate business growth and expansion. Our consultants bring local businesses access to a network of state and national experts and resources needed to compete in today's global marketplace.
- Why - When local area businesses thrive, our economy thrives. Everyone wins. Our role is to assist in Florida's economic development by helping entrepreneurs in every stage of the business life cycle. We help business owners in their sound decisions in a complex, ever-changing market.
- When - Since 1976, Florida's SBDC Network has helped construct a statewide ecosystem to foster the spirit, support and success of hundreds of thousands of entrepreneurs and innovators.
- Where - We maintain full-service offices in Pensacola, Fort Walton Beach and Panama City, supporting the following counties: Escambia, Santa Rosa, Okaloosa, Walton, Bay, Gulf, Calhoun, Jackson, Washington and Holmes.
- How - We are funded in part by the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA), Defense Logistics Agency, State of Florida, and other private and public partners, with the University of West Florida serving as the Network's and our lead host institution and direct supporter. We utilize the expertise and resources of UWF, College of Business, and the Association of SBDC's on a local, regional and national level to best meet the needs of our clients.
State designated as Florida's Principal Provider of Business Assistance [288,001,Fla.Stat.]. The Florida SBDC at UWF is a member of the Florida SBDC Network, a statewide service network funded in part through cooperative agreements with the U.S. Small Business Administration, Defense Logistics Agency, State of Florida and other private and public partners; hosted by the University of West Florida; and nationally accredited by the Association of SBDCs.
Celebrate National Small Business Week with Florida SBDC at UWF and Cox Business
If your business needs help with social media, branding, cyber security, technology, HR and workforce issues, small business basics, OR you want to know how to get into government contracting, the Florida SBDC at UWF and Cox Business will celebrate National Small Business Week with No-Cost seminars from Social ICON, Landrum HR, Carr, Riggs & Ingram, HatchMark Studio and Two Headed Marketing, and Florida PTAC at UWF, April 30-May 3 at the Greater Pensacola Chamber.
Session 1 – April 30 - 6:00pm to 7:00pm Social Media – Social media is more prominent in small business than ever before, so learn how to successfully brand your business and build a culture using social media. Speaker: Briana Snellgrove, Social Icon
7:00pm to 8:00pm Workforce Landscape: Who is in the current labor pool for small businesses? Find out how to attract and retain talent. Speaker: Byron Stokes, Director for Business Development-Landrum HR
Session 2 – May 1 - 6:00pm to 8:00pm Small Business Basics - Topics include: Plan your business and build your team for success, Entity structure, Bookkeeping tasks and software to choose from, Understand financial statements, Employees vs independent contractors, Payroll, deposits and quarterly reports, Sales and Use Tax, and Prepare for year-end income taxes. Denise will point out important dates and give you valuable tools to guide you. Speaker: Denise Fitzpatrick, Carr Riggs & Ingram
Session 3 – May 2 - 6:00pm to 7:00pm The Right Technology for Your Business – Learn about the different types of internet available, voice services that are out there, and managed solutions so business owners can make smart decisions when purchasing technology for their business. Speaker: Jeff Hood – Sales Engineer/Cox Business
7:00pm to 8:00pm How to get into Government Contracting – Learn how your business can research and bid on government contracts with the military, local schools, colleges, universities, as well as city, county and state offices. Speaker: John DiGiacomo, Procurement Specialist-Florida PTAC at UWF
Session 4 – May 3 - 6:00pm to 7:00pm Building a Brand that Tells Your Story… Accurately - No matter what stage your business is in, this presentation will provide ideas to help create, refine or maximize your band. They’ll discuss four key questions: What is your company story? Are you controlling your brand? How are you implementing your brand internally? Has your brand evolved? Speakers: Veronique Zayas, HatchMark Studio and Tracy Crowell, Two Headed Marketing
7:00pm to 8:00pm Byte-size CyberSecurity - This new no-cost workshop will provide the education and resources to protect your business, customers, employees, and profits from cyber-attacks. The program will cover four topics: basic cybersecurity threats, security, remediation, and cybersecurity resources. A key takeaway is a new in-depth resource guide, which offers user-friendly information to help your business become more cyber-secure. Speaker: Dorian Zwierewicz – Florida SBDC at UWF
Register for any, or all of these seminars at no cost on our "Training Opportunities" page.