Institutional Review Board (IRB) For Human Research Participants Protection
The Institutional Review Board (IRB) for Human Research Participants Protection is a federally mandated committee. Its purpose is to protect the rights and welfare of all persons recruited to participate in research activities associated with UWF.
UWF policy requires that all educational, training, or research activities involving human participants must be reviewed by the IRB prior to the recruitment of participants and initiation of data collection. This requirement applies to all research-related activities involving human participants at any UWF campus or conducted by any UWF faculty, staff and/or student.
In reviewing proposals, the UWF IRB is guided by the ethical principles outlined in the Belmont Report - respect for persons, beneficence, and justice. Only research that abides by these principles will be approved by the IRB.
To all investigators: It is a violation of regulations to initiate the research project prior to receiving IRB approval. Therefore, it is important that proposals be submitted to the IRB in a timely manner and with consideration of upcoming IRB meetings whenever the project involves completion deadlines (i.e. for publishing or thesis/dissertation submission). UWF asks that investigators please allow up to 4-6 weeks for IRB review.
**NEW APPLICATION PROCESS**
Please be aware that the UWF IRB is only accepting emailed applications. The electronic application portal is no longer active. You must use the PDF or Word application versions below. Paper copies will no longer be accepted. Electronic signatures are permitted for all IRB documents.
IRB Application (Word) **Please right click and choose "save link as" to open in Microsoft Word
Human Subjects Protection CITI Mandatory Training Requirement **Read Instructions Below**
CITI Training Instructions (Choose "Social & Behavioral Research-Basic Course" OR "Biomedical Research-Basic/Refresher")
IRB Committee Members
All IRB meetings are open to the public and are held the third Wednesday of each month from 2:00pm to 4:00pm virtuallly due to COVID19. The members of the board for the UWF IRB include the following representatives:
- Chair: Dr. Carla Thompson, Professor, Educational Research and Administration
- Dr. Ludmilla Cosio Lima, Professor, Exercise Science and Health
- Dr. Wesley Farr, Lecturer, Public Health
- Dr. Giang-Nguyen Nguyen, Associate Professor, Teacher Education & Educational Leadership
- Dr. Kathrine Johnson, Associate Professor, Criminal Justice
- Dr. Lisa Blalock, Associate Professor, Psychology
- Dr. Angela Blackburn, Interim Chairperson, School of Nursing
- Dr. Lynne Caples, Adjunct Professor, School of Nursing
- Dr. James Arruda, Professor, Psychology
- Dr. Susan Walch, Professor, Psychology
- Dr. Vanessa Rainey, Assistant Professor, Psychology
- Dr. Frank Pettyjohn, MD, Student Health
- Dr. Matthew Fowler, MD, Community Representative
For more information concerning the UWF IRB, please contact the UWF Research Integrity Office at email@example.com or at 850-857-6203.
Want more information about the IRB process?
To schedule an in-person presentation for your class or group, please call the Research Integrity Coordinator at 850-857-6203 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of West Florida maintains a Federalwide Assurance (FWA) for the Protection of Human Subjects in Research and is a registered IRB with the Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP).
FWA Number: FWA00002657
IORG Number: IORG0001310