What Is The ASD Early Arrival Program?
The Student Accessibility Resources is hosting an early arrival program for incoming UWF students identified as having Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and enrolled in classes for Fall 2018 semester. This two-day program will provide students with the tools for success as they transition to a university setting.
Deadline to submit Fall 2018 Applications: July 15th
Eligible students must be accepted to the university and enrolling for the Fall 2018 semester.
Topics will include:
- Academic Strategies
- Independent Living Skills
- Social Skills
- Career Readiness
Elegible students participating in the program will be able to move into student housing prior to the start of the program.
**New for Fall 2018 there will be an optional parent/guardian ½ day workshop.
Why should I attend the ASD Early Arrival Program?
Students participating in the program will gain skills to help them succeed in the transition to university life, experience navigating the campus and have the opportunity to connect with other people with similar diagnoses.
When is the program?
The Fall 2018 ASD Early Arrival Program will be Thursday, August 23, 2018 and Friday, August 24, 2018.
Students will be able to move into their residence halls (if eligible) the morning of Wednesday, August, 22, 2018. The optional parent workshop and student welcome will be the afternoon of Wednesday, August 22, 2018.
What will the schedule look like?
|Time||Day 1||Day 2|
|8:00 - 8:30 am||
Workshop 1/Continental Breakfast (provided)
|Continental Breakfast (provided)|
|8:30 -10:30 am||Workshop 2||Workshop 6|
|10:30 - 11:30 am||Workshop 3||Workshop 7|
|11:30 - 1:30 pm||Lunch (provided) and Break||Lunch (provided) and Break|
|1:30 - 3:00 pm||Workshop 4||Workshop 8|
|3:30 - 4:30||Workshop 5||Attend UWF Convocation|
|5:00 - 6:15 pm||Dinner (provided)|
*This is a sample schedule, times and events are subject to change.
Where will the program take place?
The entire program will take place on the University of West Florida Pensacola campus in various locations. Each location for the workshop is specifically chosen to help students learn to navigate the campus.
Who can attend?
- Students diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder and accepted to the university for the Fall 2018 semester can attend.
- Students can be First Time In College (FTIC) or transfer students.
How much does the program cost?
The price for the ASD Early Move-In Program is $100 per participant and includes:
- Registration Fee
- Meals (continental breakfast and snacks)
What if I will not be living on campus?
Students not living on campus may participate in the program. Student is responsible for their own transportation to and from campus.
How do I register?
- Apply and be accepted to the University of West Florida
- Register with SAR.
- Provide documentation to support the diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- Complete SAR registration appointment with SAR staff.
- Register for the UWF Orientation if you are a first time in college student. Students participating in the ASD Early Arrival Program MUST attend an orientation session BEFORE 7/21/18. (Transfer students are highly encouraged to complete the online orientation available to transfer students.) The Early Arrival Program DOES NOT exempt students from completing UWF campus orientation since the material covered will not be the same.
- Submit application and payment for ASD Early Move-In Program.
- Follow this link if you have a tax exempt status (i.e., you are sponsored by a non-profit organization).
- Follow this link if you do not have a tax exempt status.
- If Vocational Rehabilitation is covering the cost of the program, please have your VR Counselor contact our office at 850-474-2387 for payment options.
I am a high school guidance counselor or community support person. How can I promote this event to my students or refer a student?
You can share the flyer or contact our office to speak with one of our staff regarding additional information 850-474-2387.
Contact SAR at email@example.com or (850) 474-2387 with any additional questions.
Follow this link to Early Arrival 2018 in PDF format.
To request this page or any information referenced on the page in an alternative format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.