Purple Heart Wavier Policy Modification -- Effective July 1, 2016
House Bill 1157 modified the existing Florida Statute 1009.26 eligibility for this tuition fee waiver.
New eligibility requirements are as follows:
1. If a service member is currently living in the State of Florida, but was a resident of another state at the time of the military action, they are eligible for the Purple Heart Waiver.
2. If a service member was a resident of the State of Florida at the time of the military action, they are eligible for the waiver regardless of where they currently reside.
- The Purple Heart Waiver provides a tuition and fee waiver for Florida military veterans who received a purple heart OR combat decoration that is “superior in precedence.”
- Here is a list of medals that would fall under the “superior in precedence” criteria:
- Purple Heart
- Bronze Star (must be “V” designation or device)
- Distinguished Flying Cross
- Legion of Merit (must be “V” designation or device)
- Silver Star
- Air Force Cross
- Navy Cross
- Distinguished Service Cross
- Medal of Honor
- The Purple Heart Waiver covers the cost of tuition and fees toward a degree or certificate program up to 110% of the required hours for the program of study. An eligible student enrolled in any associate degree, baccalaureate degree, or career and technical certificate program at a Florida College System institution would qualify.
- The wavier covers tuition and fees only. This means you will be required to pay for other costs, such as textbooks, housing and food.