Community Partner Spotlight
The Community Partner Spotlight highlights mutually beneficial partnerships between the University of West Florida and organizations in our community.
Baptist Health Care
Baptist Health Care was founded in 1951 and is the areas only locally owned, not-for-profit, nationally recognized organization. Baptist’s Mission is to help people throughout life’s journey. Baptist partners with UWF in many ways to reach students across our campus. Below are just a few examples:
- Continuing Education at UWF delivers preservice training for all new child welfare hires and retraining of current child welfare staff at Baptist s Lakeview Center.
- UWF Athletics partners with Baptist’s Andrews Institute to care for our student athletes.
- Representatives from Baptist serve on advisory boards for UWF.
- Baptist hosted the Upsilon Kappa Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI) Honor Society of Nursing for its Creating a Spirit of Inquiry / 10th anniversary celebration and academic scholarly program.
- In conjunction with UWF, Baptist is developing a mobile app for a research study to help train nurses in situational awareness.
- Baptist provides support for Autism Treatment Services by providing instructors for behavior analyst courses in the psychology program at UWF.
- Lakeview Victim Services department partners with UWF on victim's awareness month and counseling for assault victims.
Currently, Baptist employs more than 300 nurses who are UWF graduates. These partnerships are mutually beneficial for UWF students and alumni as well as to Baptists' staff and patients, and we appreciate their willingness to exchange knowledge and resources. Learn more about Baptist Health Care by visiting its website.
Escambia County School District
The Escambia County School District serves more than 40,000 students in our local area. ECSD has been a great partner to UWF over the years. Below are a few highlights from UWF’s partnership with ECSD:
- ECSD partners with the Hal Marcus College of Engineering on the BEST Robotics Competition, the Science Olympiad, and the annual Cyberpatriot competition.
- During the 2017-2018 academic year, 19 UWF students served as student teachers and interns with ECSD.
- ECSD consistently hosts an Accounting intern in their Internal Audit department each year providing an opportunity for UWF students to engage in a high-impact experience.
- UWF Pledge Scholars serve as mentors for ECSD students each year.
UWF greatly values ECSD’s partnership and looks forward to continuing to create unique opportunities for students and teachers at ECSD and UWF. Learn more about ECSD by visiting the district's website.
Pen Air Federal Credit Union
Pen Air Federal Credit Union has been enhancing lives in our local community since 1936. Pen Air is currently partnering with UWF in several unique ways, a few of which are highlighted below:
- Pen Air contracts with UWF’s Continuing Education to provide an Emerging Leaders Workshop Series that teaches participants leadership skills and values.
- In support of the Executive Mentor Program, Pen Air has provided mentors for UWF business students.
- Pen Air sponsors the UWF College of Business’ Financial Literacy Bootcamp, a program designed to strengthen financial literacy for UWF graduates, twice per year.
- An internship program was developed by Pen Air to better engage UWF students and provide them with opportunities for experiential learning.
We appreciate Pen Air’s partnership and support! More information is available at the Pen Air Federal Credit Union website.