Frequently Asked Questions

Find answers to our most frequently asked questions below. If you don’t see the answer to your question, email us at, and we will help you. We just might add your question and its answer!

What is a trademark?
Trademark Symbol

The United States Patent and Trademark Office defines a Trademark as a word, phrase, symbol or design or a combination of words, phrases, symbols or designs that identifies and distinguishes the source of the goods of one party from those of others.

What is a Trademark License?

A Trademark license is a written legal agreement between the owner of the Trademark (licensor) and a manufacturer or vendor (licensee).  Licensor grants permission to the licensee to use licensor’s Trademark on product(s).

Why have a licensing program?

Protection of marks, promote and enhance the University’s image, provide a source of revenue via royalties.

If a vendor is a already “registered” with UWF’s Procurement Office, are they licensed?

Not necessarily.  They will need to have a license agreement through our licensing contractor (CLC) granting them permission to use our marks.  If the vendor is not listed on our licensed vendor webpage, they are NOT a licensed vendor.  They can contact CLC to apply for a license.

If a product with a University mark or name is going to be given away (promo items, etc.), does it need to be produced by a licensed vendor?

Yes, although it may not necessarily be subject to royalties, it still should be protected by licensing.

Do products with the University name only (no logo) need to be licensed?

Yes, all products bearing the University name, initials, nickname, etc. must be licensed.

How can I tell if a product is officially licensed?

Look for one of the genuine “OLCP” (Official Licensed Collegiate Product) hologram labels or hangtag on the product to be sold.  These three labels confirm that UWF and CLC have approved the merchandise for sale.

Does a licensed vendor need to be used for printed matter (signs, flyers, etc.)?

If you have gone through the proper institutional channels to acquire marks and don’t alter them in any way, licensed vendors do not need to be used for printed matter.  However, there are several UWF licensed vendors in place for printed matter and we would encourage you to use these companies whenever possible.

Do crafters need to acquire a retail vendor’s license to make their products with the UWF name or marks?

No, a retail vendor’s license is not required for crafters.  However, crafters are required to have a crafter’s license in order to produce items containing UWF’s name or marks.  The UWF Crafters Program is managed by CLC, UWF’s licensing management company.  For additional information or details regarding the Crafter’s license, contact UWF Licensing.  To apply for the license, contact CLC.

What types of products are typically not allowable for licensing?
  • Alcoholic beverages or any product with statements promoting the use of alcoholic beverages
  • Weapons, firearms
  • Tobacco products
  • Sexually suggestive products or Items containing sexually suggestive statements
  • Political, sexist, racist, religious products and/or statements
  • Consumables and products with high liability possibilities
  • Products with statements infringing on other schools
  • Any other questionable items, graphics or statements as determined by UWF’s Licensing Office