Academic Standing

Academic standing is a measure of the student's academic achievement relative to their degree requirements and determines their eligibility to be admitted to and/or proceed with their academic plan and to qualify for graduation. Early intervention is necessary to resolve academic standing issues. It is essential for students who are experiencing difficulty to understand the different categories of academic standing which can impede progress.

Academic Warning

Applies to only to students who have less than 30 sh (GPA hours) whose UWF cumulative GPA is within the range listed below. Academic warning is considered a good standing status as the student is not on probation. This status is a warning applied to students early in their academic career that academic improvement is needed.

 0 - 14.99 1.60 - 1.99
15 - 29.99 1.80 - 1.99



Academic Probation

The intent of academic probation is to serve formal notice that a student may not be making satisfactory progress. It gives students an opportunity to demonstrate their ability to meet the University's academic expectations. Students whose cumulative grade point average (GPA) for University of West Florida course work is lower than the minimum listed below will be placed on academic probation by the Hal Marcus College of Science and Engineering.

Conditions associated with academic probation are intended to specify the achievement standards required to graduate, to identify unsatisfactory academic performance at an early date, to provide an occasion for counseling, and to give students whose ultimate success is in question an additional opportunity to demonstrate their ability to meet academic expectations.

Academic Hours and GPAs for Probation semester hours less than
Undergraduates with 0 - 15 1.60
Undergraduates with 16 - 30 1.80
Undergraduates with more than +30 2.00*
Masters and Specialist students - 3.00
Doctoral students - 3.25






* In order to meet departmental standards, undergraduate students in programs which require a higher program GPA may be placed on probation when their GPA is less than 2.50.

The status of academic probation is determined by the grade point average; it may not be negotiated. There is no appeal process. An administrative review will occur if there is a change in the grade point average or if a calculation error has been made.

Continuation of Academic Probation

Students will generally be continued on probation if the student obtains a 2.30 semester GPA in the subsequent semester of enrollment. Failure to meet this goal may result in Academic Suspension.

Notification of Probation Status

Students will be formally notified by letter from the Dean of the College that they have been placed on probation. Included in the letter, sent to your UWF email account, will be the conditions of probation. Students who check MyUWF will find their academic status at the top of the "Unofficial Transcript" page or on their "Grade Report." Probationary status is included on all official transcripts.

Limitation on Registration

Students on academic probation are limited to maximum of 14 semester hours of course work.

Advice to Students on Probation

As a student on academic probation, the two most important steps you can take are to gain as much information as possible about your individual academic situation and based on this information develop a plan to return to good academic standing in the following semester.

This is the time to meet with your academic advisor to:

  • Assess the severity of your grade point average deficit;
  • Know what courses you should be taking (or retaking for Grade Forgiveness);
  • Be aware of the grades needed to clear probationary status;
  • Develop a study schedule and routine that will provide you with both the structure and support you need to concentrate on improving your academic performance;
  • Utilize campus tutoring resources (i.e., Academic Center for Excellence, Math Lab, and Writing Lab.)

Academic advisers at the College of Science and Engineering are ready to assist you with this effort. You can meet with an advisor during drop-in advising hours or by scheduling an appointment.

Courses Taken at Other Institutions

While students may take courses at other institutions (in accordance with University and departmental policy), the grades earned will have no affect on the student's UWF cumulative GPA.

Change of Major While on Probation

Students on probation may apply for a change of major; however, approval must be granted by the chairperson of the prospective department. Students should contact the chairperson for guidance.

Academic Suspension

Students who are unable to meet the conditions of their probation are subject to suspension from the University. Normally, students are not placed on academic suspension without being placed on probation for at least one semester.

Notification of Suspension

After grades are posted and reviewed, students who are suspended will be notified via My Messages in MyUWF. A letter from the College Dean will also be mailed to the student’s permanent address. If the student has registered for courses for the upcoming semester, those courses will be automatically dropped. Academic suspension will also be noted on the official and unofficial transcripts.

A.A. Degree Forgiveness Policy

Students suspended from UWF who subsequently receive an Associate of Arts degree from a Florida public state college, community college, or state university may be readmitted to UWF upon application for readmission, with earned credit accepted in accordance with University's policies. See the catalog section on A.A. Degree Forgiveness Policy.

Courses Taken at Other Institutions

While students may take courses at other institutions, the grades earned will have no affect on the student's UWF cumulative GPA. However, the courses and grades may be included in the request for reinstatement as supporting information.


Students initially placed on academic suspension may request reinstatement after being away from the University for at least one semester. Please visit the Reinstatement Guide or Confluence for reinstatement procedures and deadlines.

Non-Degree Seeking Students

Non-degree students are subject to the same academic standards and review procedures as students admitted to undergraduate degree programs. See the probation and suspension policies, based on the level of the courses being taken.

Reinstatement Guide


Fill out my online form.