Florida SBDC at UWF
Our mission: Providing businesses the expertise and resources to succeed. The Florida Small Business Development Center at the University of West Florida - College of Business (Florida SBDC at UWF) delivers, through certified professionals, consulting, training and information to help businesses succeed and create a positive impact for the Florida economy, while providing value for our stakeholders.
Small Business Management (SBM) Program
Applications are being accepted now for the 2018 Small Business Managment (SBM) Program through the Florida SBDC at UWF
Areas of focus in the program include Basics of Financial Management, Effective Management Strategies, Creating A Successful Culture, Principles of Marketing, Internet Marketing, Principles of Sales, Leadership and Managing Change, Long-Term Financial Planning and one topic of interest that emerges from current business events.
The SBM Program is a nine month program (February-October) that meets the third Thursday of each month for three hours, and includes monthly two hour visits by your SBDC Counselor at your place of business, focusing on your specific business needs.
To apply, business owners must have been operating for at least two years.
Contact Program Manager Glenn McDuffy at 850-474-2528 for more information or to apply.
Cybersecurity Basics For Small Business
Cyber-attacks are on the rise and, increasingly, small businesses are at risk. According to Symantec’s 2016 Internet Security Threat Report, 43 percent of attacks worldwide were targeted at small businesses with fewer than 250 employees. Looking to enhance your business’ cybersecurity measures? The Florida SBDC is excited to announce this new no-cost workshop that will provide the education and resources to protect your business, customers, employees, and profits from cyber-attacks. The Byte-Size Small Business Cybersecurity Program workshop will cover four topics: basic cybersecurity threats, security, remediation, and cybersecurity resources. A key takeaway and the foundation for these workshops is a new in-depth resource guide, which offers user-friendly information to help your business become more cyber-secure.
Find the workshop nearest you, and register on the "Training Opportunities" tab.
- Who - The Florida SBDC at UWF is part of a statewide service network of more than 40 centers that offer consulting and educational services to small business owners. We are based in the University of West Florida's College of Business.
- What - Motivated entrepreneurs and emerging business owners have access to our team of experienced and credentialed business consultants and specialists to help accelerate business growth and expansion. Our consultants bring local businesses access to a network of state and national experts and resources needed to compete in today's global marketplace.
- Why - When local area businesses thrive, our economy thrives. Everyone wins. Our role is to assist in Florida's economic development by helping entrepreneurs in every stage of the business life cycle. We help business owners in their sound decisions in a complex, ever-changing market.
- When - Since 1976, Florida's SBDC Network has helped construct a statewide ecosystem to foster the spirit, support and success of hundreds of thousands of entrepreneurs and innovators.
- Where - We maintain full-service offices in Pensacola, Fort Walton Beach and Panama City, supporting the following counties: Escambia, Santa Rosa, Okaloosa, Walton, Bay, Gulf, Calhoun, Jackson, Washington and Holmes.
- How - We are funded in part by the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA), Defense Logistics Agency, State of Florida, and other private and public partners, with the University of West Florida serving as the Network's and our lead host institution and direct supporter. We utilize the expertise and resources of UWF, College of Business, and the Association of SBDC's on a local, regional and national level to best meet the needs of our clients.
State designated as Florida's Principal Provider of Business Assistance [288,001,Fla.Stat.]. The Florida SBDC at UWF is a member of the Florida SBDC Network, a statewide service network funded in part through cooperative agreements with the U.S. Small Business Administration, Defense Logistics Agency, State of Florida and other private and public partners; hosted by the University of West Florida; and nationally accredited by the Association of SBDCs.