Art in State Buildings Public Art Program Call for Artists
Total funding: $100,000. Submission deadline: August 16, 2019
Full Call for Arists
Call to Artists
Through the state of Florida's Art in State Buildings Program, the University of West Florida seeks proposals for existing or new public art to be installed permanently in or on the grounds of the Lab Sciences Annex currently under construction. This building is a teaching and research space comprised primarily of biology and chemistry labs.
Artists may submit letters of interest and qualifications, along with images or project renderings, to be considered for permanent installation. The call is open to all professional artists working in any two or three-dimensional medium. Artists may submit work currently available for purchase or proposals for site-specific commissions. The committee is currently accepting proposals for both outdoor and indoor works of art. Artists are highly encouraged to submit work that complements the facility’s contemporary architecture and relates to the field of biology and/or chemistry. Submitted work might deal with topics that represent significant historical knowledge, new discoveries, or a sense of wonder about the human experience in the natural world. The selected artworks will be maintained and owned by the University of West Florida.
Proposals for outdoor work need to include materials and designs that are durable enough to last through potentially severe and hazardous weather, including tropical activity and high winds over a long course of time without extensive maintenance. Final installations must meet all current applicable codes. UV-resistant and rust resistant materials should be used. Artworks should be constructed to reasonably discourage theft and vandalism and must take into consideration the ground surrounding the piece. Include plans for nighttime lighting.
University of West Florida and Site Description
Located in Pensacola, Florida near the Gulf of Mexico, the University of West Florida is a creative, student-centered state institution focused on excellence. Our Mission at UWF is to provide high-quality undergraduate and graduate education, conduct teaching and research that services the body of knowledge, and contribute to the needs of professions and society. UWF just celebrated its 50th Anniversary and now has the second largest campus in the Florida State University system. One of UWF's most acclaimed features is its beautiful main campus, a 1,600 acre wildlife refuge of rolling hills and natural woodland along the Escambia River.
The Lab Sciences Annex for the University of West Florida is a 52,200 SF 3‐ story structure designed to provide a state‐of‐the‐art teaching and research facility for their students and faculty. A total of 12 teaching labs are provided, consisting of 8 biology labs and 4 chemistry labs. Shell space for the future build‐out of 6 research labs is also provided, along with faculty offices, conference / classrooms and multiple student breakout / common use areas. The new Annex will be an addition to their existing 40 year‐old wet lab building, which will be converted into classrooms, offices, and additional research labs.
The Annex will establish an important new identity for the Biology and Chemistry departments. With a prominent entry on the central campus green, it will help create a vibrant complex of buildings that frame an active and highly developed courtyard. Caldwell Associates partnered with world class lab designers Perkins + Will to bring the most innovative thinking in wet lab design to Northwest Florida ‐ creating a facility that not only provides students and faculty with the practical tools for learning, but also an environment that fosters student interaction, education, and development.
Art for the facility should complement the contemporary architecture, be science‐based, and represent either significant historic knowledge, new discoveries, or a sense of wonder about the human experience in the natural world.
Participating artists must have reached a certain level of expertise and recognition in their medium. Their resumes should illustrate that they have met two of the following criteria:
- the artist's works are included in private, public, corporate or museum collections
- the artist has received awards, grants or fellowships
- the artist has completed other public commissions on a similar scale
- the artists has participated in exhibitions at major museums or galleries
All responses must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 11:59 p.m. CST August 16, 2019. There is no application fee.
Incomplete or incorrectly formatted applications will not be considered.
COMPILE AS ONE PDF:
- Submit an abbreviated CV with project-related relevant information (maximum 2 pages). Format needs to comply with one-inch margins, no less than 10pt font, and a single-space minimum. Please include your preferred contact method (e.g. landline, mobile, email, etc.).
- Letter of Interest
- One page. Address the conceptual approach you will be taking and how the work fits within the mission of the space.
- Artist’s Statement
- One page maximum.
- Your project
- Upload detailed images and/or sketch/digital renderings of your project with actual dimensions indicated and plans for placement. Describe materials and their durability. Include and explanation of maintenance requirements.
- Timeline of your project
- Not to exceed one page.
- One-page breakdown of project estimate to include: artist fees, cost of fabrication, projected cost of installation, projected maintenance costs and any additional projected costs including lighting, utility relocation, etc.
- Examples of Work
- Ten digital images of relevant work. Please include title, date, dimensions and location (for public art examples).
- Contact information for two professional references.
Deadline for Submission: 8/16/19
Finalist Notification: 8/23/19
Finalist Proposals Deadline: 9/13/19
Selected Artist Notification: 9/20/19
Artwork Installation: December 2019
For questions or additional information, please contact email@example.com.